topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Delicious' new home..  (Read 5164 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Delicious' new home..
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:29 PM »
after suffering much apathy under Yahoo!, Delicious has now been acquired by the founders of YouTube. i happened to receive an email inviting me to move my bookmarks to the new service, Avos. this is just a heads-up in case anyone else still uses Delicious' service.

delicious_avos_05_05_11_001.png
http://www.delicious.com/help/transition

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Delicious' new home..
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:51 PM »
There seems to be some concern about the migration, namely with regards to privacy and censorship.

I haven't really paid too much attention, though--I switched to pinboard some time ago and haven't looked back.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:24 PM »
^ Looks interesting.  I'd not heard of pinboard before.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Hadn't heard of Pinboard before either.
Where was it hidding?

When Diigo came out, it had to contend with established biggies like Delicious.us and Furl.
Since then Furl is no more and Delicious, well...
Diigo has come a long way and seems to be pretty well no.1

Spurl (r.i.p.) looked quite promising at the time.
Will this Pinboard be a serious contender?
Time will tell, but it's simplicity and speed may find a big fan club.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:00 PM »
I actually worked on the spurl search engine once upon a time... but that was a while ago! I haven't heard that name in a long time.  It was a great service, but at the time there was quite a bit of saturation in the web-based bookmarking market. Furl looked like the clear leader, at the time, but in the end I guess it was del.icio.us with its simplicity coupled with social underpinnings. Pinboard has emphasized the former, focusing on raw, simple utility.  I think it is here to stay -- they seem to know what they're doing, on a technical level but as always, in the long run, we'll see.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:31 AM by allen »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 01:47 AM »
I use diigo as my main bookmark service -mostly I started using it due to some of the cool features such as highlighting/annotation, lists but first and foremost the "keep a cached copy" (and full content search that comes with it, meaning i dont have to waste time tagging/organising). So I bookmark specific content in diigo. But I use delicious as a backup (can be automatic with diigo) because:
- almost every service/site out there will integrate with delicious, but almost no other bookmarking service
- many more people seem to use delicious as main or backup than any other service, so my network on delicious often produces great discoveries

But yeah, i'm not sure what will happen and a little concerned, but with the api and export tools it is easy to keep copies of a lot of the information. Of course if you invested a lot in organising tag bundles etc. you might lose a lot more than me who just bookmarks.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 01:50 AM »
I'm still happy with delicious, although I'm neither using it extensively nor socially ;)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:18 AM »
del.icio.us - thanks for the correction Allen!

I had high hopes with Spurl but i guess they had issues with spammers and hackers?

Diigo is handy and after so many years,
an ol' timer like myself needs to be more than convinced in order to change games.

Newcomers will likely be the main ones to find their way to Pinboard rather than people who have been used other bookmarking services for years. There may be a new wave of Delicious users since it has been recently (finally!) sold by Yahoo.

p.s. was this there yesterday? Pinboard is charging $9.33 for new accounts?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:29 AM by dantheman »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 08:39 AM »
p.s. was this there yesterday? Pinboard is charging $9.33 for new accounts?

Yes, it was.  It's a set one time sign-up fee, that increases as they increase the number of users.  I actually like it as (1) it helps to keep the spambots away, and (2) they are already to a limited extent monetizing each user.  It's actually the reason I'm thinking about joining.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 04:59 PM »
What I really like about delicious is its excellent Firefox plugin (I never actually use the web site directly). But I guess services like Pinboard or Diigo have that as well. (?)