ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

should I ragequit?

<< < (2/9) > >>

40hz:
...off.

Indeed, I shall counter this hysteria with a hysteric move of my own. Ragequit it is.
-housetier (May 02, 2011, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

You need to do whatever you feel you must. But you're also lumping DC, and all its members, into one groupmind - which is both unfortunate and also somewhat illogical. In case you didn't notice, not all of us are ecstatic about what went down. There have been posts that expressed skepticism and voiced concerns. So it's not one big blood orgy out there.

But either way, it's entirely up to you.

I know the feeling...

Best wishes with whatever decision you ultimately make.

If you decide to stay, it's always good to see you.

If you decide to leave, it was nice meeting you. Safe journeys.

Onward!  :Thmbsup: :)

wraith808:
A possibility is to mute the conversation- you can ignore threads.  And I always take things like the forums in the context of the fact that you don't really *know* anyone online.  You know them in the context of the conversation.  And though you talk with someone everyday on a forum, if you truly knew the person, that person online might seem more ephemeral.

I quote f0dder again for truth:
Easy now, housey.

People are different - some are cheering, some aren't. This forum is pretty diverse, just as real life is. And, agree with their emotions or not, do keep in mind the scar 9/11 has carved in many Amerikans; while I don't necessarily feel the same way as they do, I understand their emotions.
-f0dder (May 02, 2011, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think everyone values your contributions here, and your presence.  That said, I must echo 40hz who said it better than I:
Best wishes with whatever decision you ultimately make.

If you decide to stay, it's always good to see you.

If you decide to leave, it was nice meeting you. Safe journeys.

Onward!  :Thmbsup: :)
-40hz (May 02, 2011, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

edbro:
Should I ragequit? Should I speak up in that forum? Should I stfu&gtfo?
-housetier (May 02, 2011, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
If you feel that only your opinions should be voiced then maybe it is for the best. It is a shame though, I hate to see anybody leave because they don't want to hear opinions other than their own.

I am horrified that some think OBL should not have been taken out. I am horrified but I still respect your opinions as different ways of looking at things. I will never agree but then again, I will never quit just because you have them.

People wonder why my country allows hateful people like the Westboro Church to spew their hatred unhindered. It is because we value the right to voice an opinion without being censored by people who don't disagree.

Is this still my forum?
--- End quote ---
It never was. It is our forum

mouser:
Can I take this opportunity to address a larger issue?

A site like ours is large enough that there are going to be very diverse opinions on all sorts of things.. Like attending a large family gathering it can at times be scary to discover some of the opinions that your relatives hold.

We are all our own people here -- and being part of DC, much like being part of a large family, does not mean you agree with every thread or every position that moderators take.

If you can manage it, I think the healthy psychological approach is the same one that should be applied when dealing with family -- try hard not to feel too embarrassed to be seen with them in public, and remind yourself that everyone around you understands that you are your own person.

One of the challenges to a family and to a site like ours, is figuring out a way for us all to coexist and enjoy each other's company -- while at the same time acknowledging that sometimes we are are going to disagree strongly about something.

In general my advice in such cases is just say to yourself "what a bunch of idiots" and ignore the thread until it's gone.

mouser:
The other thing that is very important to point out is the contribution *you* make to a group by holding and voicing opinions that are contrary to others.  Does any of us really want a forum here where we all agree with each other on everything?

If a group as a whole starts advancing core positions that you find morally unacceptable, and you conclude that your mere presence in the group by those that disagree is lending weight to this objectionable opinion, then resigning in protest can be an important action to take.  But it's also true that if everyone left a group every time there was a heavy disagreement about something, then every group would rapidly evolve into a collection of single-minded obnoxious bullies.  Sometimes being a voice of dissent within a family/group is an important thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version