topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: should I ragequit?  (Read 24033 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
should I ragequit?
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:37 AM »
How can I still talk with you with you people if you condone even appluad killing a person, even more so killing without trial? I mean where is justice without a justice?

I am so sad, I don't know what to do. This used to be the nicest forum in the world. But right now I find it more and more repulsive. This is actually the fifth attempt trying to express my feelings in a more or less coherent way.

Should I ragequit? Should I speak up in that forum? Should I stfu&gtfo?

Is this still my forum?

I go cry now...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:48 AM by housetier, Reason: linked to definition of \"ragequit\" »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: should I ragequit?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Easy now, housey.

People are different - some are cheering, some aren't. This forum is pretty diverse, just as real life is. And, agree with their emotions or not, do keep in mind the scar 9/11 has carved in many Amerikans; while I don't necessarily feel the same way as they do, I understand their emotions.
- carpe noctem

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Hey, housetier,
the reality is that this forum is a mix of different people with often (very) different ideas of what's acceptable or not. I thought the response was very mixed - yours was the clearest to say it was unacceptable. You cant persuade anyone of anything at the end of the day though, so really, what more can you do?

It's definitely still your forum, so take some time....
Tom

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:02 AM »
...off.

Indeed, I shall counter this hysteria with a hysteric move of my own. Ragequit it is.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:10 AM »
How can I still talk with you with you people if you condone even appluad killing a person, even more so killing without trial? I mean where is justice without a justice?

I am so sad, I don't know what to do. This used to be the nicest forum in the world. But right now I find it more and more repulsive. This is actually the fifth attempt trying to express my feelings in a more or less coherent way.

Is this still my forum?

I go cry now...

No - don't leave.

It's one of those things, and yet another reason why politics is a bad topic.

Granted, US policy and actions are always a fantastic way to start a fight. :(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:23 AM »
...off.

Indeed, I shall counter this hysteria with a hysteric move of my own. Ragequit it is.

You need to do whatever you feel you must. But you're also lumping DC, and all its members, into one groupmind - which is both unfortunate and also somewhat illogical. In case you didn't notice, not all of us are ecstatic about what went down. There have been posts that expressed skepticism and voiced concerns. So it's not one big blood orgy out there.

But either way, it's entirely up to you.

I know the feeling...

Best wishes with whatever decision you ultimately make.

If you decide to stay, it's always good to see you.

If you decide to leave, it was nice meeting you. Safe journeys.

Onward!  :Thmbsup: :)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:30 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49 AM »
A possibility is to mute the conversation- you can ignore threads.  And I always take things like the forums in the context of the fact that you don't really *know* anyone online.  You know them in the context of the conversation.  And though you talk with someone everyday on a forum, if you truly knew the person, that person online might seem more ephemeral.

I quote f0dder again for truth:
Easy now, housey.

People are different - some are cheering, some aren't. This forum is pretty diverse, just as real life is. And, agree with their emotions or not, do keep in mind the scar 9/11 has carved in many Amerikans; while I don't necessarily feel the same way as they do, I understand their emotions.

I think everyone values your contributions here, and your presence.  That said, I must echo 40hz who said it better than I:
Best wishes with whatever decision you ultimately make.

If you decide to stay, it's always good to see you.

If you decide to leave, it was nice meeting you. Safe journeys.

Onward!  :Thmbsup: :)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:02 AM »
If you feel that only your opinions should be voiced then maybe it is for the best. It is a shame though, I hate to see anybody leave because they don't want to hear opinions other than their own.

I am horrified that some think OBL should not have been taken out. I am horrified but I still respect your opinions as different ways of looking at things. I will never agree but then again, I will never quit just because you have them.

People wonder why my country allows hateful people like the Westboro Church to spew their hatred unhindered. It is because we value the right to voice an opinion without being censored by people who don't disagree.

Is this still my forum?
It never was. It is our forum

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Can I take this opportunity to address a larger issue?

A site like ours is large enough that there are going to be very diverse opinions on all sorts of things.. Like attending a large family gathering it can at times be scary to discover some of the opinions that your relatives hold.

We are all our own people here -- and being part of DC, much like being part of a large family, does not mean you agree with every thread or every position that moderators take.

If you can manage it, I think the healthy psychological approach is the same one that should be applied when dealing with family -- try hard not to feel too embarrassed to be seen with them in public, and remind yourself that everyone around you understands that you are your own person.

One of the challenges to a family and to a site like ours, is figuring out a way for us all to coexist and enjoy each other's company -- while at the same time acknowledging that sometimes we are are going to disagree strongly about something.

In general my advice in such cases is just say to yourself "what a bunch of idiots" and ignore the thread until it's gone.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:15 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:25 AM »
The other thing that is very important to point out is the contribution *you* make to a group by holding and voicing opinions that are contrary to others.  Does any of us really want a forum here where we all agree with each other on everything?

If a group as a whole starts advancing core positions that you find morally unacceptable, and you conclude that your mere presence in the group by those that disagree is lending weight to this objectionable opinion, then resigning in protest can be an important action to take.  But it's also true that if everyone left a group every time there was a heavy disagreement about something, then every group would rapidly evolve into a collection of single-minded obnoxious bullies.  Sometimes being a voice of dissent within a family/group is an important thing.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:53 AM »
...off.

thanks a lot

[edit] removed the unhelpful bit... [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:16 AM by tomos »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:00 AM »
The other thing that is very important to point out is the contribution *you* make to a group by holding and voicing opinions that are contrary to others.  Does any of us really want a forum here where we all agree with each other on everything?

If a group as a whole starts advancing core positions that you find morally unacceptable, and you conclude that your mere presence in the group by those that disagree is lending weight to this objectionable opinion, then resigning in protest can be an important action to take.  But it's also true that if everyone left a group every time there was a heavy disagreement about something, then every group would rapidly evolve into a collection of single-minded obnoxious bullies.  Sometimes being a voice of dissent within a family/group is an important thing.

This is a very rationed and reasonable approach to the issue, IMO.  I hate going to forums where people 'discuss' issues, but all anyone ever does is agree.  And then it is called a discussion forum.  I want a place where I can go and discuss issues with people that have opposing views.  Not for the purpose of changing them to my view- that's pretty much impossible.  Change is an internal thing, and very personal.  But for the purpose of broadening my view, educating myself, and formulating an opinion that is not a product of a hidebound world view.  Facts speak only so much, so is only a part of formulating views on subjects.  But one of the things necessary for such an approach is to be very individually minded, and very rational in your approach to such discussions.  And I think for the most part, we have a group of people that don't find it necessary for someone else to agree with them in order for their position to have merit.  And I've found this invaluable and rare in the communities that I've frequented, as everyone wants to be heard, and no one to listen.

Your communications have been an invaluable part of the conversation, and I, for one, would hate to see you (or anyone) go over a difference in opinion.

...off.

thanks a lot

all you're proving now is that you too can be an a$$hole
...not helping?

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 11:00 AM »

I agree I might be a sorehead. However I was trying to make a point of not calling any names.

so, tomos, I am sorry I have offended you, it was not my intention. I did not want this to become personal, much less did I want to insult people.

However, this episode confirms my decision to take some time off and cool my head.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Ugh... I think there might be some misunderstanding here.

Tomos, I think housetier meant to say time... (the end of your post) ...off and you took it to mean f*** off?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 11:18 AM »
Ugh... I think there might be some misunderstanding here.

Tomos, I think housetier meant to say time... (the end of your post) ...off and you took it to mean f*** off?

thanks, maybe :-[ doesnt matter now I think.
Tom

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I guess I am a hard person to get excited. I have not followed any of the threads about OBL, nor am I happy or upset about him being taken out. If there is one comment I have to make, it is about how this was apparently a perfect textbook operation where the Americans had no losses... yet they killed almost everyone they encountered.

Yes, it is a war. Yes, they thought Bin Laden might be there and I am sure he and his compatriots were very dangerous. But imo that should have been extra reason to try and catch him alive, rather than walk out with a corpse: after all, he is the REASON whole wars have been waged. Now, I am no American, and law-wise I have no 'right' to all that remains: a bunch of official documents to soothe us with. But that entire political climate led to assassinations in my country which imo messed up my government, and thus I actually find myself hoping for WikiLeaks v2 in this matter so I can get some answers. The entire planet was affected by this, so I can very much understand why some people are annoyed that people are celebrating about a dead corpse that cannot speak back.

The best thing to do is to take a deep breath and accept other peoples opinions. They don't mean bad by it; they just have been affected by it in different ways.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 11:38 AM »
However, this episode confirms my decision to take some time off and cool my head.

I know how you feel. I was at that point a while back in the OC thread. I wrote a few ******** posts in my head.

What I did was to empty my DC account by donating all the money I had in it to people here that I appreciate (not a lot of money, but enough for a decent night out for 2). I took a breather then, and came back.

It happens. People can piss you off badly. Anyone who has ever been in a relationship knows that. :)

I hope that you can put things in the past and stay.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Taking a breather can be a fine thing to do - but please do come back :Thmbsup:
- carpe noctem

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 11:53 AM »
... but please do come back :Thmbsup:

+1 :)
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Many others have already put to far more eloquently than I tend to be. So...

Should I ragequit?

Actions taken in anger are seldom well thought out, Hence... I will simply vote no. As having a conscious is a good thing I'm told.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 03:06 PM »
As having a conscious is a good thing I'm told.
-Stoic Joker (May 02, 2011, 11:54 AM)

I think therefore I am? (Trying to lighten the mood...?)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 03:23 PM »
As having a conscious is a good thing I'm told.
-Stoic Joker (May 02, 2011, 11:54 AM)

I think therefore I am? (Trying to lighten the mood...?)

I was actually shooting for more of a Jiminy Cricket sort of thing - But yes, I thought it might help (damn spell check hosed me  :()

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43 PM »
How can I still talk with you with you people if you condone even appluad killing a person?

I would think that the vast vast majority of people on this planet can envisage a situation where the murdering of another human being is perfectly justifiable.

Obviously the specifics of individual situations can be debated for an eternity, and this particular one perhaps even for longer. So I can very much understand you feeling that todays actions was uncalled for, though this forum with it's friendly and mostly neutral nature would not be the place to have that debate.

But if you truly have issue with the concept of someones murder ever being justified you need to step back and realise that is at odds with most of the world.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Not to mention that the guy pretty much tried and convicted himself in the (global) court of public opinion when he dialed up the world at large with the video wherein he praised the "heroes" who commandeered the planes (at his behest).

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 06:20 PM »

Is this still my forum?

I go cry now...

Oh, im sorry, When I started that topic, I misunderstood the meaning of "Forum"

For your information...just so we are all clear:

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/Noun
1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

There...now that is out of the way, I can get things straight about the topic in question...

Firstly, OBL was an asshole who murdered HIS OWN PEOPLE and CIVILIANS...I hear people crying about things such as "He should have been made to stand trial"...hmm...hold on a moment...you want to spend MORE of YOUR money, doing stuff that will INEVITABLY make him be put to DEATH?...We know it...YOU know it...HE WAS GOING TO DIE...

Sometimes...this is all that needs to happen...bad people, who do bad things, need to be removed...enough time, enough money, and enough loss has been given to finding and destroying this monster...now thats happened...and I for one, am very very very happy about it...

If people want to start bitching and moaning about p[eople having views and opinions of their own...then it is my personal opinion that they shouldnt be on a forum that allows free speech...and possibly move to a country where freedom, free speech, and any other things you take for granted...are removed by force...

DonationCoder is all about freedom of speech...we can see this by the lack of action in regards to another forum member here in a recent fight where several members have left the forum due to the fight.  If people want to get pissy about it...then leave...does anybody honestly care anymore?

Until some members on this forum realise that this is a PUBLIC FORUM (See above for definition) then I will no longer be partaking in conversations here.

Grow Up...Wake Up...

-Stephen