ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Pirated Software and Viruses? Ahem... No. I don't want to help you...

<< < (2/5) > >>

40hz:
I get asked every so often (usually by a client who should know me better) to help with installing a piece of cracked software they acquired. I usually don't have to say much.

If I'm there, the look on my face says it all.

If I'm not there, the conspicuous way I simply ignore their request serves equally well.

Occasionally, one of the thicker skulls will ask a second time. At which point I give them my canned response: "Think a moment about what you're asking. We can't be having this conversation."

I've never had anyone press the issue after that.  8)

-------

On a related note, I have a coder friend who was enraged to discover a product of his hit some websites in a cracked version. He was absolutely livid when he found out. He did the whole legal thing and soon put a stop to it. When he told me about it, I congratulated him on finding out and stopping it. But he wanted to know why I was smiling so much while he was waxing indignant about "effing pirates."

So I reminded him about an extensive collection of bootlegged music and movies residing on a certain home media server we knew about. And when I only got a blank stare in return, I asked him: Isn't that also a form of pirated software?

He smiled sheepishly and said he felt "that was different," although he also acknowledged it was probably "a bogus argument."

What comes around, goes around...

( We're still friends. ;D )

wraith808:
but asking a programmer for help with pirated software? priceless :)-f0dder (May 02, 2011, 03:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
You would be surprised to see how many developers use pirate software.
-fenixproductions (May 02, 2011, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know one.  But he's more palatable than most- he only pirates software for which there is no demo, and if he likes it/plays it past a couple of hours, he buys a legitimate copy.

40hz:
but asking a programmer for help with pirated software? priceless :)-f0dder (May 02, 2011, 03:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
You would be surprised to see how many developers use pirate software.
-fenixproductions (May 02, 2011, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know one.  But he's more palatable than most- he only pirates software for which there is no demo, and if he likes it/plays it past a couple of hours, he buys a legitimate copy.
-wraith808 (May 02, 2011, 07:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is that like the old joke about the wife of the traveling salesman who was so proud of her virtue? She only slept around when her husband was out of town. ;D

Stoic Joker:
She only slept around when her husband was out of town.-40hz (May 02, 2011, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you can't be with the one you love honey love the one you're with.

(If nobody remembers that song...I'm going to look like an idIoT)

40hz:
^Worry not. I remember it.

Or as we used to rephrase it: If you can't be with the one you truly love, please feel free to have casual and meaningless sex with the total stranger sitting next to you.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version