ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Pirated Software and Viruses? Ahem... No. I don't want to help you...

(1/5) > >>

Renegade:
So I'm sitting outside for a smoke, and my neighbor tells me that he's having trouble emailing me a link to something because of viruses, and then asks if I can help him out because he bought a CD of pirated software and can't figure out how to install it from the readme.txt file.

I kind of stare at him in disbelief, then mention that pirated software is a good attack surface for viruses and the like, and explain how anti-virus software signatures work, and that it's quite easy to slip a virus past them. (There are few programmers that have done desktop software that haven't used the same kinds of techniques used in viruses, e.g. keyhooks.)

He still wants help with it, so I say, "To be honest, I really just don't want to help you with pirated software." He sort of nervously laughs and that's the end of that.

Like really?

It's one thing to use a crack for software that you have already licensed, but...

f0dder:
It's one thing to use a crack for software that you have already licensed, but...-Renegade (May 02, 2011, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
And another to use wholly pirated software, which isn't necessarily the end of the world...

but asking a programmer for help with pirated software? priceless :)

housetier:
It is good you refused to help this neighbour.

Stoic Joker:
It's one thing to use a crack for software that you have already licensed, but...-Renegade (May 02, 2011, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
And another to use wholly pirated software, which isn't necessarily the end of the world...

but asking a programmer for help with pirated software? priceless :)
-f0dder (May 02, 2011, 03:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

(hehe) Yeah, that like flagging down a cop and asking where is the best place to by pot. Renegade should have given the guy the number for the local BSA, and told him to ask for "Tech Support".

fenixproductions:
but asking a programmer for help with pirated software? priceless :)-f0dder (May 02, 2011, 03:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
You would be surprised to see how many developers use pirate software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version