ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Congratz to the US Military Forces!

<< < (15/23) > >>

tomos:
What bothers me about the whole thing is: this idea that you can win a war. I suspect the only people who really believe that, are people who have never been invaded, or have never lived in a warzone.

Think about it this way, say you want to teach someone a lesson. Beating the crap out of them is one way of doing it, but they're probably not going to forget and/or forgive for a very long time. As to whether they actually take your "lesson" on board, well...

I grew up in a time & place where, within a couple of hundred miles of me, people were killing each other on an almost daily basis - for twenty years and more. Each side was trying to persuade the other side of something, or get "justice" - or revenge - or all of these things. People talked about atrocities that happened decades, even centuries previously. At one stage, I even believed that one side was "right". I didn't condone what they were doing, but "understood" where they were coming from. All BS in the end. Cause violence as a solution to a problem just makes things worse, and worse, and worse.

I'm not saying I have alternatives, or god help us, the answers. I'm just pointing out: it's not as simple (unfortunately) as lots of people would like to think it is.

tsaint:
I am hearing how OBL should have had a trial. Without taking any position on that I wonder:
1. where it would have been held. If he wasn't extradited to the USA with all legal formalities observed, could the defence have got him off on a technicality?
2. Would his entitlement to a "fair" trial be jeopardized by the publicity/reporting since 9/11. I would imagine defence lawyers rejecting jurors wholesale.
3. Whilst he was awaiting trial, how would the increase in hostage taking by pro-OBL elements be countered?

I'm sure there must be another thousand practical issues to be considered ... so easy to call for a trial as a spectator. Buggered if I know the answer.

nosh:
A possibility just crossed my mind - what if they have him alive in a dungeon somewhere? Would make perfect sense from a counter-terrorism POV. No accusations of torture, easy to produce and verify DNA evidence and show the world it was indeed him, even easy to fake death images or video if you have the guy alive.

Renegade:
A possibility just crossed my mind - what if they have him alive in a dungeon somewhere? Would make perfect sense from a counter-terrorism POV. No accusations of torture, easy to produce and verify DNA evidence and show the world it was indeed him, even easy to fake death images or video if you have the guy alive.
-nosh (May 03, 2011, 11:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd expect Al Quaida to storm in with their +5 Vorpal daggers, boots of speed, potions of healing, fireballs and magic missiles~! :D :P

nosh:
You're really going for that clown badge, aren't you?   :mad:

Funny tho!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version