ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Congratz to the US Military Forces!

<< < (6/23) > >>

edbro:
celebration over murder (not justice) is no way forward. -Carol Haynes (May 02, 2011, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
I truly do not understand how us taking out a terrorist responsible for thousands and thousands of death, and someone who continues to be a threat, constitutes murder. It baffles my mind.

What would you have us do? Invite him for tea and let bygones be bygones? Tap him on the shoulder and say "tag, you're it", then let him go to continue killing innocents?

I consider myself a liberal but that only goes so far. I'm not so bleeding heart that I would simply walk up, shake his hand and let him go.

I am one of those you condemn for celebrating. Hell yeah, I'm happy. The world is a better place without Bin Laden in it. Just as the world celebrated the death of Hitler, we celebrate this one too.

In this country we do not simply let terrorists go. For example, if we caught someone responsible for bringing down a jumbo jet full of people, we wouldn't give him back to Libya for better oil contracts. Is the world a better place after Libya celebrated the release of the Lockerbie Bomber? Now they have made him a martyr for Islamic terrorism. Just saying...

Let's not forget who started this war that is responsible for countless innocent deaths on both sides. The US did not ask for this, Osama did. He started a war and as such, was considered an combatant and legitimate military target. An attack on American soil against our civilians can not be disregarded. Not then and never in the future. Today I am an extremely proud American, as I am every day.

housetier:
What would you have us do?
-edbro (May 02, 2011, 08:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have him stand trial.

edbro:
All news reports say he went down fighting. Capture wasn't an option during the gunfight.

nudone:
Here's a convenient link if you want to follow the reports updated by the minute: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/02/osama-bin-laden-death-live

Interesting bits so far:

Bin Laden living in area known to authorities for quite a while.

Orders were to kill, not capture.

Burial at sea okay under Islamic Law - or not, depending on which expert says so.

edbro:
Here's a convenient link if you want to follow the reports updated by the minute: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/02/osama-bin-laden-death-live
-nudone (May 02, 2011, 08:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

"This was a kill operation," he said, making clear there was no desire to try to capture Bin Laden alive in Pakistan.

--- End quote ---
Well, I stand corrected but, good on them I say! Imagine the security nightmare if he was captured. There would be non-peaceful rioting all across the extremist Islamic world if we simply held him in captivity.

As to whether the burial at sea was proper or not, I simply don't care. We couldn't afford to have his grave turned into a shrine. It still sounds like we paid heed to islamic burial customs. I don't see Al Qaeda caring too much about Christian sensitivities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version