ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Playing With UI Design... (Looking for comments)

(1/3) > >>

Renegade:
I've been playing with some UI design, and thought I'd try some fun. I don't have a lot of time to do it, so I took some shortcuts and just "got it done".

This portion of the application here uploads a resized or cropped photo to TwitPic with a comment (111 chars) then tweets it on Twitter.

Now, you can of course cancel, but I thought I'd add in a warning. But the regular warning icon of a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark seemed a bit boring, so I went with this:

I like the smiley. It seems fun. I think it will be entertaining for people, and should solicit a few laughs.

Does it work?

cranioscopical:
It's a neat idea.
I wonder how many people fail to read the content of requesters and commit based on the image/icon alone?
Because it's cute might it fail to alarm?
Could you place the usual warning triangle beside it somehow or is that just too clumsy?

wraith808:
Chris has a good point.  Could you perhaps put the smiley on one side, and the more traditional (or maybe a cartoonized version of the original) on the other?

Renegade:
I think it's kind of an either or thing.

I tried a quick mockup in Photoshop, and it seems cluttered.

I was hoping that the shocked smiley face would serve the same purpose. The window itself has a traditional warning symbol for the window icon, though you wouldn't see it in Windows 7 (I forget about Vista) in the task bar.

mouser:
I think the icon is going to do its job well at making them pause to read the messagebox before clicking a button.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version