ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 10

<< < (5/31) > >>

4wd:
This is just about the dumbest procedure I have even seen.  :down:-Curt (May 01, 2011, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, the dumbest is having to email an author/company with your license details in order to prove you're eligible for an upgrade and then twiddle your thumbs waiting for a reply.

GPSoft tells you immediately - easy and quick.

and what is this with placing C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe to always start with Windows? I can't even delay it! I am already beginning to hate this program!-Curt (May 01, 2011, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's so when you double-click on the Desktop a lister will open and it's also used for running commands.

Nudel can probably answer better but I think you can stop it from running at startup and use the right-click on the Desktop to open a lister.

And it's been like that since v9 came out, IIRC, so for 4 years.

And just for interests sake: AU$78.10 for 2 licensed copies + USB + SFTP (that's including 10% GST).

tranglos:
and what is this with placing C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe to always start with Windows? I can't even delay it!-Curt (May 01, 2011, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can disable it easily (and yes, it was one of the first things I did after installing). Settings -> Preferences -> expand "Launching Opus" -> From the Desktop -> make sure "Disable" is checked. This will stop the helper app from starting.

In general, DOpus is immensely configurable, which is a good thing too, because many of the default behaviors and settings are quite peculiar to say the least, especially if you're used to another file manager. Some I think are downright silly, like using red and green to mark active and inactive panes. I never knew which was which: red stands out more and means "important" or "error", but it was the inactive page! Why not use colors defined in the system for that very purpose?

But you can tame all of this - that is, if you think you'll be using DOpus at all. I found that I could not leave TC no matter how much time I spent reading all the tutorials and configuring DOpus to my liking.

cthorpe:
I just purchased the upgrade, and after registering the program, the License Manager states "This certificate is valid for installation on a single computer (plus one personal laptop for HOME/SOHO users only)."

I don't know if past versions allowed installation on a laptop with a normal license, but I don't recall ever seeing that.

C

Nudel:
In general, DOpus is immensely configurable, which is a good thing too, because many of the default behaviors and settings are quite peculiar to say the least, especially if you're used to another file manager.-tranglos (May 01, 2011, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've been making a list for a tutorial on "settings you might want to change", which I hope to put out after I update/re-write my general introduction to Opus (which has taken days to do so far; sometimes I wish Opus did less :) ).

Some of the default settings did get changed in Opus 10 -- including the red and green colours you mention -- but if you update over Opus 9 (or import an old config from it) it will keep your existing Preferences settings. You can reset some or all of them using the Prefs window, if you want.

Once I finish my guide/list, if there are still defaults that seem wrong I will try to them changed. I wanted to do a full pass through Preferences checking the defaults before Opus 10 was released but time ran out. (It's not just finding them, it's making the case to other people and discussing them. Sometimes it turns out there's a good reason for how they are, sometimes there's a clash of opinions, and sometimes it's a no-brainer, but you have to go through that for each thing.)

(There are also settings which don't make sense as a default even though many people would like them. Trivial example: Some people want the tree on, others want it off; no default pleases everyone. Another example: Some people love being able to double-click the empty space in a dir to go up a level, or turn on dual-display, but if that was on by default nobody would know it was there and people who triggered it by accident would be confused. That kind of thing should stay opt-in, but I think it'll be useful to point out things like that in a guide.)

I don't know if past versions allowed installation on a laptop with a normal license, but I don't recall ever seeing that.-cthorpe
--- End quote ---

It's not new but it wasn't pointed out very well in the past so hardly anyone knew. The new GPSoft website mentions it more prominently as well.

Nudel:
BTW, when the website says an upgrade quote is only valid until 15th May, I think it just means that particular quote. You can ask for another quote after that time.

I don't know exactly how long the 40% offer will exist for but I'd be surprised if it was only for two weeks. A lot of people won't even realise Opus 10 is out in that amount of time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version