topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Directory Opus 10  (Read 99222 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 10
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2011, 02:45 AM »
Also problems with one bit Tiffs only showing as an enlarged thumbnail. Again, yet to be reported officially but reported in the Dopus forum here.
Haven't checked this.

that's confirmed, I'm going to report it today.
Tom

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2011, 03:04 AM »
I have DOpus viewer as default programme for all images, but can it be the case that I dont have to, in order for the viewer to be the default image viewer from within dopus?
Will experiment. I suspect a Catch22 situation but may well be wrong. ~ note to self: must stop having negative expectations ;-)

I double L click on image file in dopus and it opens it up in viewer, I right click on the the image in viewer and it gives me the open option which takes me to my default image opening program.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2011, 05:15 AM »
I have DOpus viewer as default programme for all images, but can it be the case that I dont have to, in order for the viewer to be the default image viewer from within dopus?
Will experiment. I suspect a Catch22 situation but may well be wrong. ~ note to self: must stop having negative expectations ;-)

I double L click on image file in dopus and it opens it up in viewer, I right click on the the image in viewer and it gives me the open option which takes me to my default image opening program.

thanks Dormouse - unfortunately it's not working here:
I've tried setting a few different editors as default image-opener (just testing on jpegs so far), and restarting dopus just in case. The image opens in the viewer okay, then right-click >Open shows the file selected in an open dialogue - clicking open in the dialogue has no effect.
I've had problems before with system default 'open' programmes and dopus default programmes being different, but just checked and that seems ok...
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2011, 04:32 PM »
must stop having negative expectations

Most of us call those experience  ;)

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 02:17 AM »
you're looking at images in the viewer and you see one you want to open in your image editor - you have to take note of the name, go back to the main window, find the file. A simple open [current image in viewer] in external app, or even just copy filepath would solve this.

Drag the viewer's window icon (top-left of the titlebar) on to your image editor.

Problems zooming into images - on my machine I often cant get over 200%

It only happens when zooming very large images and does not happen on newer versions of Windows, so it's a pretty low-priority issue for us now. It is still on the list, but requires some low-level changes to how the viewer works and it's under a pile of other to-do items.

Also problems with one bit Tiffs only showing as an enlarged thumbnail. Again, yet to be reported officially but reported in the Dopus forum here.

That turned out to be because of the resolution set in those TIFFs, and some 'feature' someone asked for years ago to do with fax images. We might remove the 'feature' as it doesn't seem that useful and it'd make sense to just do what everything else does.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2011, 02:36 AM »
you're looking at images in the viewer and you see one you want to open in your image editor - you have to take note of the name, go back to the main window, find the file. A simple open [current image in viewer] in external app, or even just copy filepath would solve this.

Drag the viewer's window icon (top-left of the titlebar) on to your image editor.

okay, that's the best solution yet. I always use the viewer as a maximised window and dont actually have shortcuts to photoshop anywhere accessible, so it requires having photoshop open and dragging to the taskbar. I have a dopus 'taskbar' as well, I'll try adding a shortcut to pshop there.

Problems zooming into images - on my machine I often cant get over 200%

It only happens when zooming very large images and does not happen on newer versions of Windows, so it's a pretty low-priority issue for us now. It is still on the list, but requires some low-level changes to how the viewer works and it's under a pile of other to-do items.

1) it actually happens on (almost) all images here - normally I wouldnt notice myself, because I wouldnt want to zoom to 400% of a crappy 72dpi A4 scan ;)

2) I am very unhappy with this response - you're saying it's the OS. XP is supported by microsoft till 2014, that's almost another three years.
I wonder how many XP users do dopus have? . . .

[edit]  toned it down a bit :-\ [/edit]
[edit2]  Leo, I appreciate your honesty anyways. [/edit2]
Tom
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:40 AM by tomos »

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2011, 02:56 AM »
Are there any xplorer2 users who've tried (or even switched) to DOpus? I love xplorer2 because its design philosophy seems to be built to cater to power users - there are many hidden powerful functions (the help file is daunting) but lots of little nice touches that don't have a wow factor but soon become indispensable. And its fast.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Not really answering your question.  xplorer2 would be near to perfection if only the search function was easier to use and not relying on scrap containers. And folder synchronization is also tricky to use.
.merle1.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2011, 09:43 AM »
Are there any xplorer2 users who've tried (or even switched) to DOpus? I love xplorer2 because its design philosophy seems to be built to cater to power users - there are many hidden powerful functions (the help file is daunting) but lots of little nice touches that don't have a wow factor but soon become indispensable. And its fast.
I used to use xplorer2, but it was a long time ago.  Maybe a year or two after it first came out.  I moved to DOpus after that and have never looked back.  DOpus should be able to do anything you are looking for, but for some very particular things you may need to spend some time configuring it with custom buttons, keyboard shortcuts, and possibly a little bit of dopus scripting.  None of it is terribly difficult, even for someone like me who hates getting into that stuff normally.  At one point, I wanted DOpus to do everything the way TC did, and I spent some time configuring it to be that way.  I'm sure you can do the same to have it mimic xplorer2.
As far as fast, it's fast enough, but will probably be slower than the "lightweight" alternatives like TC, xplorer2, xyplorer, etc.

The only major criticism with DOpus is the price.  That's really the only thing I've ever heard people legitimately complain about.  It's always "Why should I use DOpus when i can use [whatever] for free or for much cheaper?"  Only at that point do people start saying this file manager does something that DOpus doesn't, which I don't usually buy.  It's usually just the price that is prohibitive for most people.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2011, 10:08 AM »

I bought an xplorer2 license in 2004.  I liked the program very much, but every now and then it would lose all of my custom configuration settings.  A few other users reported the same thing.  Support gave me the impression that my problem wasn't too high on the priority list, so I moved to Directory Opus.

That was a long time ago, and I'm sure that xplorer2 is much-improved.  I'll stick with Directory Opus, which is a major pain to configure initially, but a joy to use.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Well, I made the mistake of updating to DOpus 10 early and now after trying to tolerate its endless little niggling bugs and changes that don’t really help me at all, I really wish I had just stuck with DOpus 9. I am thinking seriously about downgrading back to DOpus 9. Has anyone here gone back to V.9? Any problems or difficulties?

Thanks!

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2011, 10:49 AM »
^ I've lost custom shortcuts  (I think all) *and* a lot of default ones - I didnt do anything wild & crazy and I'm not sure what caused it. I'm considering a reinstall but I'll probably stick with 10.

There was an update this week, dont know what it fixed, lets see - might help me too - no, dont see much there:
http://resource.dopu....php?f=1&t=15231
Tom

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Can anyone tell: is it possible to somehow turn off Opus drivers being loaded automatically from the time Windows Boots up.
        i think it consumes a little more than 12 MB memory even if a user does not open Opus. That is one thing only i dislike about D.O : i think Q-Dir performs equally well compared to D.O.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2011, 12:11 PM »
@hulkbuster; your last remark may not go well with quite a number of DC members... they think DOpus is The Best.

The auto-starting file's job is to launch DO via your "dblclick" on the desktop. Before removing it from start, make sure DOpus is not the default handler of anything! The file's consumption is as low as 7.74MB - no reason to exit it. If you insist removing it from start, any startup manager can do this.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2011, 01:43 PM »
Before removing it from start, make sure DOpus is not the default handler of anything!

To be safe, you probably should also deselect "Replace Explorer" in options under "Explorer Replacement" and restart Dopus (before removing it from start-up).
Tom

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2011, 01:54 PM »
I see what you mean, from all the File Manager explorer i have used i too find D.O to be quite frankly catchy and fancy:  and quite bloated just to see the three drivers running in the Task Manager, you said 7.74 MB : i believe that's the minimal amount of memory when it is sitting idle in a window. But fiddle around and so some copying/pasting and check the Task Manager ,the memory would shoot up indefinitely.
          My Q-Dir consumes as much as 10 MB when idle and shoot to 15 MB when i do manual copy/paste from Q-Dir.
   None the less if you are true to what you said i would definitely install and see if i get the feel of it.

But every he/she has a fare say on what one feel about certain things.
i have  1 GBRam and 3.00 GHz Dou Core Processor, and i do have that option of putting or keeping things like D.O. consuming Memory behind the scene without showing lag: when i use my routine program.  
   It doesn't harm to try and get a fell of D.Opus: by the way i alway deselect Replace Explorer; and Start Opus when Windows start.

ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2011, 02:37 PM »
^ I've lost custom shortcuts  (I think all) *and* a lot of default ones - I didnt do anything wild & crazy and I'm not sure what caused it. I'm considering a reinstall but I'll probably stick with 10.

Did you ever export your settings?

I do that periodically as the way I use DOpus evolves.

The 'everything changed' phenomenon happened to me when I went to 10, so I just imported the most recent settings and all was back to normal.

So, try exporting your settings before updating and then reading them back afterwards.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Cranioscopical's tip works beautifully, I personally can attest to that.

But I also have to agree that DOpus 10 is nearly as stable as DOpus 9.

However, as it is I will not downgrade because of the 7-zip integration that, plain simply put, just works for me.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2011, 03:25 PM »
^ I've lost custom shortcuts  (I think all) *and* a lot of default ones - I didnt do anything wild & crazy and I'm not sure what caused it. I'm considering a reinstall but I'll probably stick with 10.

Did you ever export your settings?

I do that periodically as the way I use DOpus evolves.

The 'everything changed' phenomenon happened to me when I went to 10, so I just imported the most recent settings and all was back to normal.

So, try exporting your settings before updating and then reading them back afterwards.

there's no easy answer to that - I decided on moving up to win7 to try a clean install of dopus, see what it looks like and gradually customise it (as opposed to using settings from previous version).
So I didnt have any backup of recent settings. I have to look at it closer, if I could even restore defaults I'd be happy...
There was a lot to like about the default install of 10 (partly why I thought I'd make a fresh start) but there seems to be a lot of stuff very well hidden - like not even in the menu - but due to things going weird I'm no longer sure what's default, as I am unable to restore it :)

edit - I havent spent much time trying to figure out what happened or how to proceed. I'm sure I'll figure it all out. Might try messing around with my USB install - that could be a good way of checking stuff
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2011, 03:27 PM »
However, as it is I will not downgrade because of the 7-zip integration that, plain simply put, just works for me.

are people downgrading because of that?
- works fine for me too
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2011, 03:35 PM »
-I think he said, he "will not downgrade, because version 10's 7-zip works" for him.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2011, 07:19 PM »
So I didnt have any backup of recent settings.
-

Just an idea…
What happens if you install it as a different user and opt for "Use your own private configuration files"?
Could you then export the 'out of the box' settings and import those to the version you now have running?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2011, 08:39 PM »
@tomos

I think I can help.

See my PM

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2011, 09:25 PM »
When I first upgraded I restored the backup of DO9's config immediately so it looked the same. However as I came across little things here and there that didn't work right and I'd post about it on the DO forum, Leo would always tell me to do something that didn't seem to exist on my copy of DOpus 10. He asked if I had restored a config from DO9 and then said that a lot of items that should be available in 10 were not available to me because of that. So I changed the UI to the DOpus 10 default and then had to spend a couple hours - at least - creating new buttons for the toolbars, etc. Major pain in the ass!

But now DO 10 is giving me fits. Date/time columns just never stay wide enough, no matter how I configure them I end up having to double click on the column header divider to expand them. I have the width set in the Path Settings but that doesn’t guarantee anything. And the Content Recognition still works like crap. Doesn’t recognize the percent of images, etc. and change the display accordingly. Plus now whenever I copy or move files - even just one or two small files - DOpus consumes 35 - 40% CPU and continues to do so for several minutes. All crap that never occurred with DOpus 9, though mention it on their forum and Leo is quick to insist that "nothing changed with that in 10". Somehow I just don’t believe him. Too many users complaining in the forum!

Thank you.

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13 AM »
@Chris, thanks :up:

@Jim that does sound rough. Just curious - what OS are you on?
Tom