topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anarchists! Unite! Or whatever... :)  (Read 3191 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Anarchists! Unite! Or whatever... :)
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:00 AM »
This is fun:

Poll reveals regular internet users are less likely to respect the law

http://www.news.com....frfro0-1226046534296

FREQUENT internet users are less likely to respect the law, serve on a jury or do volunteer work, a study has found.

“Those who use the internet more frequently actually know more about politics in general,” Dr Pietsch said.

And perhaps that last part there is the reason that they have no respect for the law~! :D :P

Hehehehe~!

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anarchists! Unite! Or whatever... :)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 11:16 AM »
I grabbed this from the articles comments section:
Probably because those of us who spend more time on-line are more aware of what is actually going on in the country and around the world and thus have so much less respect for those who are implementing such laws for their own greedy, bigoted or just downright moronic ends...

I'd say he nailed it right there.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 12:39 PM »
I grabbed this from the articles comments section:
Probably because those of us who spend more time on-line are more aware of what is actually going on in the country and around the world and thus have so much less respect for those who are implementing such laws for their own greedy, bigoted or just downright moronic ends...

I'd say he nailed it right there.

Sounds about right.

It's been said "to understand is to forgive."

I disagree. Sometimes the more information you have, and the more you truly "understand" something, the greater your contempt and loathing grows.

Which is one the reasons I periodically take a few days off from closely following the news.  ;D 8)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:41 PM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:54 PM »
Sometimes the more information you have, and the more you truly "understand" something, the greater your contempt and loathing grows.

Sadly, I think that's very true for politics and the like.

I try not to let it get under my skin, and try to simply laugh it off as idiocy, but I most often fail.

The only solution is to not read any news.

I sometimes wonder how we all manage to not sink into a suicidal state of despair.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:02 PM »
I sometimes wonder how we all manage to not sink into a suicidal state of despair.

Can't speak for everyone, but in my case all I need to do is look around me.

There are millions constantly trying very hard to make the world a better place and not give in to the cheap cynicism and despair our press and politicians try to get us to buy into.

Good thing too.

Because if things (and all people) were as bad as those who don't who give a damn about anything would have us believe, the human race would have become extinct long before now.

So I try not to let it get to me too much. And when it does, I just take a break from it long enough to recharge my patience and lower my blood pressure. After that it's back to my usual attitude, which is: Bring it on! Bring it on! Bring it on!

Like Terry Prachette's nany character Suzan said to the little children she was babysitting: When something scary comes around, don't get frightened. Get angry!"

;D :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:04 PM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:24 PM »
There are millions constantly trying very hard to make the world a better place and not give in to the cheap cynicism and despair our press and politicians try to get us to buy into.

That's one of the things that I find very depressing. i.e. If people behaved decently, we wouldn't need people trying to fix the problem.

Like how hard is it to go out to a bar, have a few drinks, and NOT get into a fight and kill someone?

How hard is it to instead of taking extra time and effort to engineer a product to be worse, to just accept that it's ok to produce products that last a long time and are environmentally friendly even though they might make less money for you?

How hard is it for politicians to cooperate and do their job for the betterment of the people they represent, rather than fight in an attempt to make themselves look good and others look bad?

How hard is it to not spray paint the neighborhood?

Those are the kinds of things that drive me nuts.

The people trying to make the world a better place because of things like natural disasters, natural diseases (as opposed to those caused by humans), poverty, illiteracy, etc. etc -- I like that. Those nasty things that really aren't preventable will always need to be addressed, and that's fine. That's a good thing.

It's the things that "we" inflict on ourselves that need to be corrected -- those things are sickening.

I try to bury myself in other concerns. I can do a small amount to help fix things, but I can't "solve" the problem. I'm better off trying to keep to my own little world a lot of the time. e.g. We don't buy anything off the shelf (canned/packaged) in the grocery market (or very very little), and instead we buy only fresh food (vegetables, fruit, milk, meat, etc.). It's a small thing, but there's no way I can possibly address the issues of indentured servitude/slavery in the sugar industry. Still, the impact we have on the problem is negligible. So back to burying my head in the sand it is... Or in this case, back to burying my head in a proposal for a mobile component manufacturer... Sigh...