topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The great toilet paper debate  (Read 30007 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: The great toilet paper debate
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 04:24 AM »
I like the 3-ply stuff.

I once found some nice aloe vera 3-ply stuff that was like wiping your butt with a silky cloud. Super soft and very nice. I've not been able to find it since though... :(

If you happen to live in/near an area with a Costcow (probably US only) I have to say I like their brand of TP. Though for some reason all Costco brand stuff actually goes by the name of Kirklandw. It's not the best/softest TP you'll ever find, but it's good enough for me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:35 AM by Deozaan »

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 07:03 AM »
that was like wiping your butt with a silky cloud

Pure poetry.   ;D
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 07:18 AM »
While I myself prefer the over method, I see #2 (for under) as an extremely compelling practical reason for the under method but only if you have a frequent problem with children or pets or earthquakes unraveling your toilet paper.

It was a problem with a child that initially converted me to the over method...

In the middle of the night, when my daughter was half asleep and cranky, having it set so it came out from under wasn't a good idea. When she was very young, she had a habit of smacking the roll to get the free end loose. If it was set over, this was easy. But when it was under, no matter how many times she smacked it, the roll would just spin and the free end wouldn't come loose. At about the 4th or 5th smack she would begin to get frustrated and tears soon followed. Not wanting this to keep happening every night, I started putting it so it was over instead of under. No more half asleep, frustrated crying child in the middle of the night.  ;)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 07:22 AM »
As for the unraveling argument, I think there's a little bit of an irrational fear there.  People who prefer under look at the over orientation and think "Man, that looks unstable!  It's going to unravel!  Oh no!!"  But it's really not anywhere near that bad.  I just think, practically speaking, over wins every time.

I have cats.  Over loses sometimes.

I have a puppy that like to get up to all sorts of trouble...hence why i prefer the under method  :Thmbsup:

Also...It looks much tidier  8)

On the topic of brands, I prefer Andrex (Dunno if its called the same outside the UK) - The Shea Butter one is so soooooft! - The Aloe Vera stuff is also good, but not my prefered lol, they also have chocolate, but I saw it and thought "eww"

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 11:54 AM »
I like the 3-ply stuff.

I once found some nice aloe vera 3-ply stuff that was like wiping your butt with a silky cloud. Super soft and very nice. I've not been able to find it since though... :(

If you happen to live in/near an area with a Costcow (probably US only) I have to say I like their brand of TP. Though for some reason all Costco brand stuff actually goes by the name of Kirklandw.

I'm in a like/hate thing with Costco lately.

The quality of many of the products they carry has been slipping badly, and the quality of their fresh food/produce has tanked completely. If it has no expiry date, then it's likely ok. Expiry date? Forget it. I'm guessing that they're buying up cheap stuff that's almost expired at cheap prices and stocking that -- had a few problems there.

But they don't carry the kind of TP I like here (Melbourne). I'm pretty sure that I used to get it at the Costco in Yangjae, Seoul. (Their produce was usually good, except for the onions which always sprouted too quickly.) Come to think of it, I think it was a Korean brand... Not too sure... Aloe vera 3-ply. Lovely stuff to wipe the old tush with. The only thing better would be <insert the name of someone you hate, like a politician, here />'s tongue. :P

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 01:22 PM »
We shop at Sam's Club, but only because it's much closer than Costco where we're at. We get Charmin ultra strong. It's very soft and much less is needed (as little as 5 squares) because it is very strong as advertised. One pack lasts my wife and I about 4+ months for $18, It's well worth what we pay. For some reason the website says $21 but we paid $18 the last time and the time before that $16 and some change (probably closer to $17)

Also for some reason I'm allergic to Angel Soft toilet paper. Toilet paper is about the worst thing to discover you're allergic to.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 04:46 PM »
I get my toilet paper from Penny-Markt (.de) -
it's called "Happyend" :)
Tom

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 08:26 PM »
lol tomos that's awesome.... i would buy that just for its name
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 11:54 PM »
Hey guys,
just as a reminder - this part of the forum is called the "Living Room" and not the bathroom.
  :)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30 AM »
I am neither "over" nor "under" because I don't have a holder for toilet paper. I have a neat pedestal of sorts within reach, it's been convenient enough for to not bother putting a holder on the wall.

So I get around the over/under dilemma - but I could start a new argument about the orientation of the roll of toilet paper: clockwise vs counter-clockwise. I don't mind when guests mess up orientation of the roll, but I do mind when they put it somewhere else entirely. ...that would be a good argument in favor of installing a holder, IF I had many such guests.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 08:56 AM »
I developed a preference for over because the house we now live in has TP holders in each bathroom that has a stainless steel flap that drops down to cover the top of the roll. Really irritated me when we first moved in because I couldn't see the point, but then I realised that it's there to trap the roll so that you can rip off a section of bog roll one-handed. It works when the roll is installed so that the free-end rolls off the front (or over). It's been five years and I still can't get my wife to see the brilliance of this - she's an under person all the way...

gluckpd

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 10:03 AM »
I am most definitely an 'over' guy.  And yes, I will change it whenever and wherever I happen to squat.  One of the major pluses for me is the one handed snatch.  You can't do it easily when the roll is the wrong way 'round.  I like to give 'Johnny T.' a dab before tucking him away again, so one hand's usually engaged when I reach for the paper.   :Thmbsup:

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 01:21 AM »
I think I will mount my T.P. roll in the wall, and have the sheet come out through a thin slit. :P
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

zxcvbn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Strandlife
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 04:28 AM »
And . . . . what about the TP in public toilets, eg : motorway service stations ?  I think a Donation Coder member with the necessary skills should produce a training video on how to get the paper out of the thing, never mind which way round it is !
zxcvbn