topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The great toilet paper debate  (Read 30005 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The great toilet paper debate
« on: April 27, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Graphjam answers the eternal question.

the-great-toilet-paper-debate.jpgThe great toilet paper debate

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The great toilet paper debate
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Haha, oh my! I have totally *had* this debate with a significant other and, I think, offended her a little bit (mostly because I was "too" passionate about it :P). This infographic is awesome.

- Oshyan

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:23 PM »
If you mount the holder vertically, it ends the argument. Arguing about the end on the left or right isn't quite the same and doesn't carry the same passionate beliefs.  ;)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 07:03 PM »
If you mount the holder vertically, it ends the argument. Arguing about the end on the left or right isn't quite the same and doesn't carry the same passionate beliefs.  ;)
Brilliant!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:26 PM »
So I gotta pick between Jay Leno and Ann Landers?!?

Yeish!

Hm... Jay Leno has a Jet bike...Over it is...  :D

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:19 PM »
I'm an over person, but not for any of the reasons listed there.

Toilets are toilets. With the 'under' method, just how often do you think that people will brush their fingers against the wall trying to get hold of the paper? Maybe people will clean toilet seats, and toilet pots, but will ANYONE clean the wall underneath the toilet holder? Do you?

I know I don't. Thus: over it is. ;)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 08:26 PM »
The paper holder, that's how they get you. Then comes the mind control. Then comes the over/under dogma. Before you know it, you're a slave to the toilet paper holder corporations! While you're hopping from over or under, they're laughing all the way to the bank!

Me, I just set mine on a small shelf, pick it up with my left hand, roll it out under. I tend to use less that way. If it's on a holder, I always prefer over.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:41 PM »
Gotta be on top.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 09:43 PM »
I should go to bed, but the wikipedia article regarding this debate has amused me enough to put it off.

o-------|
  / /---\  |
 / |  O  | |         Sue me,
   |\---/  |         I am bored.
   |       |
           |

With disastrous results, I might add.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 09:53 PM »
I make wicked amazing tacos, but if I put too many hot peppers on... Man... The over/under debate is irrelevant. I just need another roll~! :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Over.

I get annoyed if it's facing the wrong way, and I definitely correct the error - also if I'm visiting other people :)
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 11:02 AM »
I like triple-play facing the right way. :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Toilet paper debate?

I'm for it! 8)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 04:39 PM »
I'm an over person, but not for any of the reasons listed there.

Toilets are toilets. With the 'under' method, just how often do you think that people will brush their fingers against the wall trying to get hold of the paper? Maybe people will clean toilet seats, and toilet pots, but will ANYONE clean the wall underneath the toilet holder? Do you?

I know I don't. Thus: over it is. ;)

That's actually one of the reasons listed as a Pro for "over the roll." See #2 in the Advantages section for Over.

If you mount the holder vertically, it ends the argument. Arguing about the end on the left or right isn't quite the same and doesn't carry the same passionate beliefs.  ;)

It's just like app to turn a (t)issue on its side! Smart thinking, really. :P

BTW, last year I discovered that those CD/DVD spindles that hold 100 discs work pretty well as a toilet paper dispenser. Depending on how thick (circumference) the roll is, you can slide it on the spindle and then put the plastic case on it to keep the roll from getting smashed. Then just stick it in the back of your car as part of your emergency kit.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Over.

I get annoyed if it's facing the wrong way, and I definitely correct the error - also if I'm visiting other people :)

I've gotten in trouble for that ("correcting the error" when visiting others...)
Tom

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 05:24 PM »
BTW, last year I discovered that those CD/DVD spindles that hold 100 discs work pretty well as a toilet paper dispenser. Depending on how thick (circumference) the roll is, you can slide it on the spindle and then put the plastic case on it to keep the roll from getting smashed. Then just stick it in the back of your car as part of your emergency kit.

Oh, great idea! I have this habit of hiding a few rolls in the bathroom closet behind a bunch of things, just in case someone forgets to go to the store or argues with me about the current price (to which I usually suggest they keep a phone book handy if they don't feel like paying for it)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 05:30 PM »
That's actually one of the reasons listed as a Pro for "over the roll." See #2 in the Advantages section for Over.

Bah. I do not think of it as an advantage of the over method; rather I think of it as an obvious flaw in the under methodology that immediately wipes it as a viable alternative.

Anyhow, besides saving paper (I presume), this dilemma might well be one of the reasons so many public places go for the pile of precut folded paper dispenser thingies where you have to drag the pieces of paper out in the most troublesome way ever. In my case, I tend to drag like 5 or so along with my attempt because I have issues grabbing a hold of the paper, so the saving paper might well be a crappy argument... meaning the over-under debacle may well be the major reason for that stuff to exist. :D

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Under Wins for me!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 07:07 PM »
Over, DEFINITELY over. I won't be contradicted on this, either  :P

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 07:12 PM »
I am very much against the under method.  I'm glad to see I am in the majority.  I think the reason why most prefer the over method is because it is more practical.  The arguments for under are not very strong, and more abstract and aesthetic almost.  I'm not a utilitarian, however:  I appreciate arguments for aesthetics.  However, I don't think toilet paper is a topic that can reasonably lend itself well to an aesthetic discussion.  To me the question is "Which way does it make wiping your ass easier or more pleasant?"  And over wins that question.

As for the unraveling argument, I think there's a little bit of an irrational fear there.  People who prefer under look at the over orientation and think "Man, that looks unstable!  It's going to unravel!  Oh no!!"  But it's really not anywhere near that bad.  I just think, practically speaking, over wins every time.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 07:23 PM »
While I myself prefer the over method, I see #2 (for under) as an extremely compelling practical reason for the under method but only if you have a frequent problem with children or pets or earthquakes unraveling your toilet paper.

The poster explains the physics, but it's also harder and less comfortable on the human body (when children are the problem) to unravel the paper that way.

Really that's the only reason I can see why anyone would want to use the under method.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 08:49 PM »
As for the unraveling argument, I think there's a little bit of an irrational fear there.  People who prefer under look at the over orientation and think "Man, that looks unstable!  It's going to unravel!  Oh no!!"  But it's really not anywhere near that bad.  I just think, practically speaking, over wins every time.

I have cats.  Over loses sometimes.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 09:13 PM »
As for the unraveling argument, I think there's a little bit of an irrational fear there.  People who prefer under look at the over orientation and think "Man, that looks unstable!  It's going to unravel!  Oh no!!"  But it's really not anywhere near that bad.  I just think, practically speaking, over wins every time.

I have cats.  Over loses sometimes.

Hahahaha~! :D

Nicely put~!

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 09:54 PM »
While I certainly prefer over, I did want to point out a time when I prefer under that hasn't been listed.

When in a commercial restroom with the half-ply toilet paper which has jagged edges around each side to 'easily rip' the toilet paper (even though you have to treat it like a paper thin sheet of gold ready protect a satellite preparing to orbit to keep it from ripping while unrolling), under is far superior so that your job of getting more than half of a sheet of toilet paper is sufficient.

Also, I have on a couple of occasions found my toilet paper unraveled for unknown reasons. I still haven't quite figured it out, but the problem seems to be tied to the density of said toilet paper (ie fluffy soft toilet paper not at as high of risk).

Ultimately, it doesn't bother me so much that I'll change the paper orientation or even pay attention to the orientation when installing new toilet paper, but do prefer over.

On a final note, if you own a business and get toilet paper that is so cheap it rips by the pressure required to remove the said toilet paper, just remember this. Those are the places that I make sure i have enough toilet paper to make a paper mache basket ball before i commence wiping. There are 2 reasons, first reason is a protest for the retarded notion this will save any money, and the second is because the paper is so thin i can't trust it so must use only large quantities.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:58 PM by Kamel »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 10:52 PM »
On a final note, if you own a business and get toilet paper that is so cheap it rips by the pressure required to remove the said toilet paper, just remember this. Those are the places that I make sure i have enough toilet paper to make a paper mache basket ball before i commence wiping. There are 2 reasons, first reason is a protest for the retarded notion this will save any money, and the second is because the paper is so thin i can't trust it so must use only large quantities.

+1

I hate that kind of TP. It's simply useless. And you do need a huge amount of it to avoid looking like a 5-year old making mud pies. And it's like wiping with sandpaper. Nasty stuff.

I like the 3-ply stuff.

I once found some nice aloe vera 3-ply stuff that was like wiping your butt with a silky cloud. Super soft and very nice. I've not been able to find it since though... :(