topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Linux + minecrack, mapgeneration automation & accounts?  (Read 2827 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Linux + minecrack, mapgeneration automation & accounts?
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Zowie, what a thread title!

So, I've set up a private minecraft server on my linux box, serving a handful of friends. Currently, it's running under my 'f0dder' user account... it works, but probably isn't the most secure and smart way to do things.

I've finally found a decent mapper that doesn't have craploads of dependencies... it's still somewhat slow, probably because of the ancient singlecore CPU in the server, but it works. And I'd like to automate the map generation to run overnight. Cronjob, eh? I could just do that from root's crontab, but that also feels wrong.

So, what's a decent setup for all this? I assume the first thing would be setting up a dedicated "minecraft" user that doesn't allow remote logins, and is as restricted as possible. Next up, what to do about file permissions? The generated map data should be available through http, and the http daemon uses the www-data user+group for that...

NTFS ACL permissions are so simple and flexible to work with, but this is linux :)
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Linux + minecrack, mapgeneration automation & accounts?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:51 AM »
This is completely unhelpful but I just use MineOS+.

If your linux box was a bit more powerful, I might suggest running MineOS+ in a VM.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:55 AM by Deozaan »