topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: So I got an HTC Arrive  (Read 3922 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So I got an HTC Arrive
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:40 PM »
bloody hell it's hard to type on one of these things

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: So I got an HTC Arrive
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:23 PM »
That's why I too got one with a 'real' keyboard (Motorola Milestone / Droid), but experienced that I have to keep my thumb's nails in just the right shape to press the keys reliably. And you are IMHO a tad advantaged by the slightly better layout of the HTC keyboard. Quick it will probably never go...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Well, considering I've previously never had a "Smart Phone", just getting to the board, logging in, and posting was a feat in itself. However in addition to that, I also got connected to my secure WiFi, setup Outlook to connect to our Exchange server, sent a test Email, checked my voice mail, and made a phone call. All without even looking at the 8 times longer than my attention span instruction manual.

So in the self explanatory/easy to use department ... I'll have to give it an A+.

The UI is incredibly fluid, so navigating it is quite nice. And it came with headphones ... Which I have no idea wtf to do with (hehe).

I'll plug it into my comp later and see how that goes - I gotta figure out how to side load it now.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:59 AM »
I don't know but I'm guessing that's an Android? Either way, if it has Swype, try it. I really like it and personally think Swype would make it OK to not have a physical keyboard.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:51 AM »
And it came with headphones ... Which I have no idea wtf to do with
You're supposed to treat it like a luxurious/expensive MP3 player, that happens to double-take as a phone :P

that's an Android? Either way, if it has Swype
Nope, it's WinPhone 7 (it's aka HTC 7 Pro), and no Swype available (yet)

I've previously never had a "Smart Phone", just getting to the board
What made you decide to go for a Windows Phone 7 device?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:01 AM by Ath, Reason: Mixed up Pro 7/7 Pro, +url »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:56 AM »
And it came with headphones ... Which I have no idea wtf to do with
You're supposed to treat it like a luxurious/expensive MP3 player, that happens to double-take as a phone :P

So... I throw it on the corner of my desk next to the Zune I never use either? That hardly seems effective.

I've previously never had a "Smart Phone", just getting to the board
What made you decide to go for a Windows Phone 7 device?

Hm...
BlackBerry strikes me as being a bit behind the times, and is kind of dull.
iPhones ... Are gay.
Androids, I thought about, but they just didn't make it past my idiot simple test (It's a phone for christ sake, don't make me have to think about how to make a call/answer the damn thing) when I played with a few in the store.
The office was insistent that I have mobile access to Email (it's their dime) So... I went for the OS I had the best chance of coding for. I also like the straightforward UI that I can strip down to just & only what I want on it.

My wife (who also got in on the plan) got a Samsung Elite, which I got to fiddle with last night. She kept getting lost on the 7 different side scrolling "Desktops" ... Which I also found rather annoying ... Me like Windows Phone.