ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Xnview vs. IrfanView - integrity issue examined

<< < (8/8)

Lutz_:
The quibbles between Irfan View and XnView are missing the point.  Both are great programs which I have used a lot and I have donated for IV.  Thanks is due to both developers - actually Microsoft should pay these guys. Without programs like theirs windows would be a lot less usable.
Nevertheless, both XnView and IrfanView are in way up to par with Faststone viewer when it comes usability and elegance -they are both still the faster loading programs and they support way more file formats. But with regard to ease of use and intuitive handling Faststone is having their lunch for several years already.

mysterix:
... (for example: XnView has been stealing/cloning features and whole dialogs from IrfanView, for 7+ years).
-Steven Avery (April 23, 2008, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

One thing XnView did not steal is the full Unicode support. XnView is wonderful in many ways, but I find it embarrassing how many file name characters it cannot handle. Characters that Microsoft and IrfanView will handle without any problems. Just one example: "ما ذكرفرحتن حتى من by _ ♥ ~ β@ЯβŸÄĦ ~ ♥ _.jpg" will not open in XnView. If I try to remove the problem-causing characters, one by one, I'll have to shorten the name to "by_@_.jpg"!!! >Western Only< may not be a problem to Americans etcetera, but to me it has been a problem a little too often.
 :down:

Edit: 'Latin' replaced with 'Western'.
-Curt (May 29, 2009, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

By now, version MP of XnWiev has unicode support.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version