ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Loss of ownership / control over a .org domain - advice requested

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
The "www" part of domain names refers to what the internet is - the Wild, Wild West. People suck.
-f0dder (April 25, 2011, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

The suckier part is that you can't just run around and shoot people that piss you off anymore though... :(  >:(

:D

-Renegade (April 25, 2011, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. In the 'enlightened' society where I live, the government frowns on it enough that they may even elect to send you up for The Big Sleep if you do.  ;D

I personally think shooting cybersquatters should be a constitutionally protected activity.  :Thmbsup:

vlastimil:
Domain squatters suck.

Anyway, as people advised above, try to ask the current owner politely to give/sell you the domain. I would not bother with threats of legal action. The squatter will just ignore it - they won't bother responding, because the process is complicated and the worst that can happen to them is they lose the domain. But it takes time and they will happily make money on "your" visitors until then.

The domain does not appear to have a lot of traffic or links and therefore, for the squatter, it does not have a significant value. Offer them a price that would cover the time needed to transfer the domain. The $100 mentioned above is a decent price for this task - make it clear, you are unable to pay more. If you offer a low price that does not cover their time, the squatters will just ignore you. I doubt you can count on the goodness of their heart - cybersquatting is a shady business.

According to yahoo, only feministcardiff.wordpress.com is linking to your original site. If that blog is under your control, you should change the link to the mirror (removing the links further decreases the value of the domain to the squatter).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version