ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Easiest laptop (brand) to take apart ?

(1/12) > >>

Armando:
I've owned only 3 laptop, and they all made it pretty hard to get to the CPU. However, I found that being able to easily get to the CPU (and its fan/heat sink) is very convenient for good cleanup. For my next laptop, this is going to be one the buying factors : extremely easy to take apart and get to the CPU.

Any knowledgeable people on the subject here ? Thanks.  :)

Renegade:
Well, a friend of mine had a macbook, and after so many frustrations found it very easy to take apart with a hammer... But somehow I think that's not what you're looking for. :)

Armando:
 ;D Good to know.
Yeah, preferably, I'd like to also be able to put it back together afterward.

techidave:
I have taken apart a few Dell, Acer, HP, Gateway, Lenovo's.  It seems like the Gateway and Lenovo was just under the keyboard with no covers in the way.  But it has been a while.

Macbooks are hard in my opinion.  Acers have very few manuals online to help you figure it out.

40hz:
I've disassembled and reassembled all the major brands. I never found any I thought were particularly easy to take apart. Worst were Toshibas and HPs. Best were Macbooks and Thinkpads - but that was probably more because we were "manufacturer authorized" to work on them, so we had full service docs. Having detailed and accurate 'take-apart' instructions makes a huge difference when you need to.

Since I'm into swapping drives when I want to repurpose or re-task a laptop, all I look for is easy access to the HD.

My favorites are those that let you install the drive into side of the case as opposed to from the underside. "Side-mount drive" laptops usually only have a plastic access panel that's held on by a single screw. With those it takes less than a minute to swap out drives once you've had some practice.

Luck with your search. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version