ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Easiest laptop (brand) to take apart ?

<< < (10/12) > >>

Armando:
>I just bought an ASUS myself actually, though a higher-end model with a quad core i7

Nice !  :)

@Kamel : My Vostro isn't to bad... And While I agree with you (and others) that Dell makes laptop dismantling relatively easy, it's certainly not always the case. Like I said in previous post, the Vostro and Inspiron 6400 cooling system is/was not easy to uncover... In each case it took me more than 40 min to dismantle the laptop, and at least the same amount of time to put it back together. I might be slow, but this is not something I want to go through every time I need/want to clean the CPU area. Not to mention that the plastic parts become more and more fragile after each pop-out/in. :)

Stoic Joker:
I can't help but wonder how much of what are you having to clean out of these machines? I've generally always just blown (with canned air) through the (air outlet) cooling system backwards and never had a problem getting dust/lint/animal hair out of a machine...Without any disassembly.

Armando:
Well, in that case, to each his own. Some are happy with canned air, and others -- maybe just me -- aren't... I explained that in a previous post. Don't know, but it seems to me that easy access to the CPU is a plus, not a minus anyway.   :-[

Stoic Joker:
That's cool - I've just been wondering if you were dealing with a particularly difficult set of environmental conditions that made normal (a term I'm using here loosely for lack of a better one) methods ineffective.

As an example, I have a client that is a (large & small animal) vet. Some of their machines have come in for repair quite literally full of all manner of hair/fur/fuzz/I don't want to know... :) ...I've recommended that they avoid laptops in their environment.

Armando:
Thanks for taking the time to explain, Stoic. Yes... I do have 1 cat around (for the last 2 years and more to come...) with very long hair. And, annoyingly enough, it *loves* my laptop -- most probably because it's warm.

That said, I'm sure (and know) that some laptop models can get cleaned properly with pressured air. But for some reason, I could never completely get rid of some "dust bunnies" in my Vostro with that method. I realized that when I had to open it for the first time in 1.5 years because I needed to replace the CPU.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version