ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Easiest laptop (brand) to take apart ?

<< < (6/12) > >>

Armando:
I had a similar experience with my Dell inspirons 6400 (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=14549.msg183845#msg183845). I was a bit upset. I now have a Vostro, but I didn't buy it -- I wouldn't have... someone "gave" it to me. The Vostro is actually much sturdier and I haven't got any problems with it. But the next computer will have to be both reliable and easy to maintain/clean. If Asus or Sony have easy access to parts like the CPU, that might be my best bet.

xtabber:
Strikes me the question is "which laptops have the best access to service manuals?" and only then "which models are easiest to disassemble?"

At least with a manual you get some clues how to get into things without breakages and lots of frustration!

In my experience Toshiba and Dell seem to have the best access to service manuals - almost all other makes seem reluctant to release their manuals.
-Carol Haynes (April 23, 2011, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I mostly agree.  Toshiba and Dell generally have good access to service information, although Toshiba can be very variable from one region to another and Dell tends to deepsix information on older systems.  I consider IBM/Lenovo to have the best documentation and software support for those who do their own servicing, at least for their Think product line (ThinkPad and ThinkCentre).

The first laptop I ever got to take apart was the Zenith 181, the first real laptop (as opposed to transportable) computer. For a few days, I think I was the only authorized laptop service person in New York City.

40hz:
Out of curiosity, why is access to the CPU so  important?  Most are surface mount and wave-soldered to the mainboard so they're not field replaceable.

As long as there's access panels for the RAM slots, the HD bay, and possibly the WiFi card, what else do you normally need access to?

The DVD, the floppy (if there is one) and the battery usually just slide out once you release the retention catch sliders.

Anything else you'll probably have trouble getting raw service parts for anyway - so why worry? Most manufacturers have a policy of not shipping boards to consumers. Those are strictly "authorized service center only" parts.

Besides, If you need a new main or video circuit board you're usually better of just getting a new laptop since it was likely damaged by a power problem on the regulation circuit. Any time you had a power sourced failure it may also have damaged other components besides the one that failed. That turns into a spiral sometimes as you gradually end up replacing one component after another until you effectively end up with a new laptop anyway.
 8)

Armando:
Yes, this probably got lost in the various (interesting) tangents. First post of this thread :

I've owned only 3 laptop, and they all made it pretty hard to get to the CPU. However, I found that being able to easily get to the CPU (and its fan/heat sink) is very convenient for good cleanup to avoid overheating problems. For my next laptop, this is going to be one the buying factors : extremely easy to take apart and get to the CPU.
--- End quote ---

To that I'll add that I used several known strategies(canned air, vacuum cleaner, etc.) in the past and none seemed to work as well as opening the actual laptop and directly removing the dust.

Accumulating dust may be a non issue for some or most, but I've noticed it makes a big difference : my fan doesn't need to turn on as often, the laptop stays comfortable, etc. And I don't feel like it's going to melt during the summer...

[P.S. : that said, being able to replace the CPU is also a plus IMO. I did that with my Vostro : went from a slowish 1.4Ghz processor to a T7500 2.2Ghz... for 100$ on ebay, more than 1.5 y ago.  Haven't regret it 1s  :) ]

Carol Haynes:
Out of curiosity, why is access to the CPU so  important?  Most are surface mount and wave-soldered to the mainboard so they're not field replaceable.

As long as there's access panels for the RAM slots, the HD bay, and possibly the WiFi card, what else do you normally need access to?

The DVD, the floppy (if there is one) and the battery usually just slide out once you release the retention catch sliders.

Anything else you'll probably have trouble getting raw service parts for anyway - so why worry? Most manufacturers have a policy of not shipping boards to consumers. Those are strictly "authorized service center only" parts.

Besides, If you need a new main or video circuit board you're usually better of just getting a new laptop since it was likely damaged by a power problem on the regulation circuit. Any time you had a power sourced failure it may also have damaged other components besides the one that failed. That turns into a spiral sometimes as you gradually end up replacing one component after another until you effectively end up with a new laptop anyway.
 8)
-40hz (April 25, 2011, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's pretty much the approach I take - the only non-obvious part I replace is the screen inverter (though there is a fair amount of voodoo getting in there at times). Mostly laptop repairs are memory upgrades, hard disk replacement/upgrade, WiFi card install/replace, keyboard replacement, battery/power block replacement and CD/DVD drive replace.

It isn't really practical to replace other parts that much as most people who bring me laptops bought them over 3 years ago and short of buying an eBay model to cannibalise for parts you can't really get many replacements. Most electronic parts are generally soldered these days to GPU, CPU and PUS replacement are pretty much not possible.

I have cleaned out air paths to remove dust and fluff build up (one computer I cleaned had so much cat hair it looked like felt material) but that depends on where things are located and how easy it is to get to (sometimes tweezers work quite well from the outside followed by a strong vacuum cleaner).

The only other thing I would have a stab at is replacing a damaged screen - but then the problem is finding one for an old machine!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version