ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's your experience with 3rd party color inkjet ink replacement?

<< < (8/15) > >>

Stoic Joker:
FWIW I have seen a fair few dead Canon printers that are the product of cheap ink.-Carol Haynes (May 09, 2011, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

interesting, what manner of death did they suffer?

Carol Haynes:
FWIW I have seen a fair few dead Canon printers that are the product of cheap ink.-Carol Haynes (May 09, 2011, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

-Stoic Joker (May 09, 2011, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heads totally clogged and even after repeated cleaning in alcohol they never totally recovered. It might just be the local crappy inks off the local market that causes the problem but since Canon printer's most expensive spare part is the print head there is little justification to risk it by using cheap ink.

I have to say I don't find Canon inks too bad - unless you buy a printer that takes just a black and colour cartridge. Most of the more expensive printers in the range take 4, 5, 6 or more cartridges and I find those cartridges are not cheap but pretty reasonable (esp. compared with other manufacturers) and at least you get every last drop.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

-Stoic Joker (May 09, 2011, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heads totally clogged and even after repeated cleaning in alcohol they never totally recovered. It might just be the local crappy inks off the local market that causes the problem but since Canon printer's most expensive spare part is the print head there is little justification to risk it by using cheap ink.

I have to say I don't find Canon inks too bad - unless you buy a printer that takes just a black and colour cartridge. Most of the more expensive printers in the range take 4, 5, 6 or more cartridges and I find those cartridges are not cheap but pretty reasonable (esp. compared with other manufacturers) and at least you get every last drop.-Carol Haynes (May 09, 2011, 07:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... I'm just not convinced that's completely the fault of the inks. While I work for an ASP, and should therefore stick to walking the party line...I've just never been any good at conformity  :-[ hehe

Print heads are a consumable, they are designed to (fail) be replaced at a rough interval. Most of the ones I've seen fail were usually user/printing behavior. Letting it sit too long between prints, trying to print more than the volume the device was designed for, or both at alternating points.

The CIS's mentioned above are actually quite good from what I've seen. It's quite simular to the high volume  ink systems used on a plotter. We have a client that uses them exclusively (with food coloring/dye) to print pictures on top of specialty cakes. Most of their service requirements are for mechanical (usually feed system) failures.

Carol Haynes:
In the cases I have seen there seems to be a convincingly odd correlation between the ink used and the head failures - some within warranty period (which I have never seen on Canon printers using genuine ink).

bobparham:
I have a Canon IP4600 printer that I have used OEM "equivalent" cartridges from the start. I have purchased cartridges from Meritline and pay in the neighborhood $5 each. They have the chips on them and I never have had a problem getting them to work. Quality of print is as good as OEM. So far, no problem with shelf life. One problem I have had, is on the yellow cartridge. When the ink is used out of the chamber feeding the print head in the printer it quits working. This printer has five cartridges. For the yellow I have been purchasing OEM. I'm not paying $13 for cartridges I can purchase for $5.

Bob P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version