ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's your experience with 3rd party color inkjet ink replacement?

<< < (5/15) > >>

mouser:
Yeah honestly i don't know what a normal person can do other than whine and always look for ways to undermine and hack the system.

MilesAhead:
Yeah honestly i don't know what a normal person can do other than whine and always look for ways to undermine and hack the system.
-mouser (April 22, 2011, 09:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've got the whining down.  Hacking seems too much like work.

Stoic Joker:
One of my printers is a Canon all-in-one and I really like it.
I stuck to Canon ink for a few years and then decided to try cheap stuff.
Everything went well and I congratulated myself for being astute… until cheap-ink change #4 clogged the print head.
-cranioscopical (April 22, 2011, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

The thing to remember about print heads, is that they are classified as consumables. So if you ran that printer "For a few years", on the same print head - You're quite lucky - It's demise had nothing to do with the cheap inks, and everything to do with the fact that print heads eventually do fail ... Some even (time out) do it according to a schedule.

MilesAhead:
My Epson Stylus C66 probably would have lasted another 3 years except I made the mistake of putting a few of those business card blanks through it. Messed up the paper handling mechanism.

The one thing I didn't like is it had a black cartridge and a triple color. One color goes dry you toss the whole cartridge.  Stylus C-88 has individual cartridges for each color and only uses 4 cartridges total. It's a cheap way to go and I rarely do any photo images anyway. The thrill of printing album cover art is gone.  Uses way too much ink. :)

nudone:
As MilesAhead said, Epson, with individual cartridges for ink. I've only had Epsons, and they were all the stylus photo range. Yeah, there are a few compatible cartridges thrown straight into the bin when they are found to be dry on opening - but at around £2 each, I'm not upset.

The biggest factor I've found when trying to print out nice photos was the paper - this was using "photo quality" paper of various weights. Many allowed the ink to bleed quite heavily - even though this was "special" paper. The colours can shift dramatically too depending on the brand of paper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version