ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

I think we should close the Company Complaints and Compliments Section

<< < (5/12) > >>

tomos:
Honestly I think having a whole section for it invites *more* topics of that kind, and makes for more contentious ones as well. Granted you could have the occasional thread turn nasty in the main forum, but I suspect it would be less often, and in general be less abused.-JavaJones (April 21, 2011, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think so as well.
i.e.
I'd scrap it - this idea of keeping it & strictly regulating it is not really dc style (that's more my style "delete the beggar" lol).
This place mostly gets along fine without a big rule-system, it would be a shame to have to bring one in now.

worstje:
I think a few people have hit the nail on the head here. Nobody wants the flaming, but the section has a purpose which requires proper moderation and guidelines to come to its fullest potential.

First, I think the name might need a change. The fact 'complaints' come before 'compliments' sticks, and I must say I tend to always think of it as the company complaints section. Moving the wording around, or maybe naming it something like 'Company Experiences' or 'Company Support Stories' might move the negative connotation away.

Second, proper moderation is a must. I can't say I really noticed any of the topics that bring out this supposed worst, but I think keeping stuff on topic and keeping users from unnecessarily emphasizing the same aspect again and again in a negative context (while not detailing their personal experience with the company) should make a big difference.

mouser:
Another factor to consider is that I have always maintained that the fewer sections the better.  While there is some logic in having different sections for different subjects -- i think it detracts from the common sense of community, and should be kept to a minimum.

I think for the most part the different forum sections serve some purpose in localizing very specific discussions or information.

But the Complaints and Compliments is an anomaly -- it isolates discussions that would otherwise be completely at home in the General Software section or Living Room, and only serves to give them much more weight than they have any right to have.

And when in doubt, simplify.  The simplest thing i think is just absorb those complaint and compliment stuff into our normal discussions.

JavaJones:
I agree, if it stays it needs closer monitoring and moderation. Just, as tomos said, that's not really DC's style in general (in the other forum sections). As long as there are people willing to moderate it who will do a good job I'm fine seeing it stick around, but personally I would just ditch it.

Mouser's latest point about fewer sections being better is also important and one I agree with, along with the fact that it does seem (in my eyes) to give those posts extra "weight".

- Oshyan

rgdot:
In my experience if only compliments are encouraged, ie a place to hear more positive stories rather than negative ones, then it increases the possibility of spam not decrease it. Unless it is heavily moderated and I would even go as far as saying that every post would need to be reviewed before being visible/posted

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version