ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

I think we should close the Company Complaints and Compliments Section

<< < (4/12) > >>

40hz:
What exactly is the value of having it separated from other discussion areas? It really does just draw attention to it (good or bad).

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (April 21, 2011, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

But it helps contain it as well. It can act as a troll & spammer magnet for bots and drive-by posters too.

I'd personally rather not have to see any of that nonsense showing up regularly in the main areas if at all possible. :)

Shades:
It is possible to ignore individual threads in the DC forum. Would it not be a good idea to be able to have an option like 'ignore forum section', so none of the threads created in that section will appear for those who do want that?

Seems the best compromise to me, giving anyone the option to ignore sections if they so desire.

wraith808:
$0.02 -> Keep the section (there must have been a rationale for creating it in the first place) but have some strong guidelines that people must view and adhere to before posting. No personal attacks, etc, etc. That way it's all confined to one place and people are well aware of what they should/shouldn't be doing before they post.
-nosh (April 21, 2011, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

This seems like a good middle ground, along with re-naming it.  I think it does serve a purpose, and is a service to the members of DoCo, and visitors in it's current state.  Maybe even limit the topic creation there, so that only one thread is created per service/product?  And make it more of a discussion of companies rather than labeled complaints or compliments?

Just throwing out thoughts....

wraith808:
It is possible to ignore individual threads in the DC forum. Would it not be a good idea to be able to have an option like 'ignore forum section', so none of the threads created in that section will appear for those who do want that?

Seems the best compromise to me, giving anyone the option to ignore sections if they so desire.

-Shades (April 21, 2011, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ignoring sections seems a bit along the same path as ignoring users, i.e. creating potentially parallel but non intersecting sub boards.  I rarely even ignore threads, because when you do, there's a possibility of missing something that is referenced in a different context- maybe even something enlightening or productive.

JavaJones:
Honestly I think having a whole section for it invites *more* topics of that kind, and makes for more contentious ones as well. Granted you could have the occasional thread turn nasty in the main forum, but I suspect it would be less often, and in general be less abused. Just my gut feeling though.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version