ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

High Speed Source Code Viewer [portable, freeware available]

<< < (5/5)

Jibz:
- loading from command line using -dir ... -file ... parameters.
-stahlworks (September 18, 2011, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exclusion works much better now imho. I can now correctly exclude the '.hg' folder and only that :Thmbsup:.

Is there any reason the '*' in front of directory inclusions is needed? From the help it seems it is not required in the workspace options dialog, but it is from the command line?

- running dview without parameters, then configure Setup / Workspace, then load interactively.
-stahlworks (September 18, 2011, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to work ok. Would it be possible to add a recently used folder list of some kind? having to repeatedly use the standard folder selection dialog is a pain.

wraith808:
Would it be possible to add a recently used folder list of some kind? having to repeatedly use the standard folder selection dialog is a pain.
-Jibz (September 19, 2011, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

This!  I love this program, and am testing the TFS integration before dropping money on the edit functionality (I might drop it anyway- this is a great program!), but this is a major pain!  Recently used and favorite folders would be very nice!

One last thing that would be nice along these same thoughts- to use the open dialog instead of the browse for folder dialog so that you can type/paste the path that you want to work with.  If you had that, then with Listary I personally wouldn't need anything else.. :)

UPDATE: To my delight I've found that Listary *does* work with Depeche View.  It would be nice to have the above features, especially in the case of opening a new folder.  But it definitely works a lot better for me now.

stahlworks:
> Is there any reason the '*' in front of directory inclusions is needed? From the help it seems it is not required
> in the workspace options dialog, but it is from the command line?

the reason is: on the command line, you can specify two kinds of things can be supplied after -dir :
root directory names, and sub folder masks. the latter are identified by "!" or a wildcard "*" anywhere in their name.
For example,

--- ----dir source include *.svnloads text from root directories source and include if it's located within .svn sub folders.

In the workspace options dialog, it is not possible to supply multiple root directories in the sub directory filter,
as this would be too complicated. instead, every word in "sub directory filter" is auto prefixed by "*" internally,
to make sure it's used as a sub dir filter.

In a nutshell, the command line is more flexible, but for that it requires a more complex syntax.
And the GUI version is reduced but easier to use and understand.

> Would it be possible to add a recently used folder list of some kind?

I'll put it on the todo, but this will take some time.

What can be done right now, especially with DView Pro, is to simply load everything you might need together into memory,
with a long list of -dir folder1 folder2 folder3 -file ... -dir ... -file ... statements, or by specifying a fileset definition file
(dview -h then search for "defining filesets").

Even faster: create snapfiles with SFK, which are archive files containting many text files,
then load that with DView. Snapfiles can also be created from fileset definition files (sfk snapto=cache.txt -fileset myset.txt).

This way, I load a set of 20000 files everyday, containing everything I might need (sourcecode of multiple projects, include files
of different operating systems, open source libraries ...) and then I set the path mask to where I really need to search.

> use the open dialog instead of the browse for folder dialog

I use "GetOpenFileName" for the file open dialog, which cannot be used to select folders.
Also I don't see a big difference: no matter if you select "Load folder" or "Load file",
in both cases you can copy/paste a path into the given text entry field.

Jibz:
In the workspace options dialog, it is not possible to supply multiple root directories in the sub directory filter,
as this would be too complicated. instead, every word in "sub directory filter" is auto prefixed by "*" internally,
to make sure it's used as a sub dir filter.
-stahlworks (September 20, 2011, 12:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

That makes sense, thank you.

> Would it be possible to add a recently used folder list of some kind?

I'll put it on the todo, but this will take some time.
--- End quote ---

Great.

Even faster: create snapfiles with SFK, which are archive files containting many text files,
then load that with DView. Snapfiles can also be created from fileset definition files (sfk snapto=cache.txt -fileset myset.txt).

This way, I load a set of 20000 files everyday, containing everything I might need (sourcecode of multiple projects, include files
of different operating systems, open source libraries ...) and then I set the path mask to where I really need to search.
--- End quote ---

Interesting. I was actually wondering the other day if there was some way to save the processed data structure that dview uses internally to be able to quickly load a database of some old code that is not likely to change. I guess this would be the way to do that.

I use "GetOpenFileName" for the file open dialog, which cannot be used to select folders.
Also I don't see a big difference: no matter if you select "Load folder" or "Load file",
in both cases you can copy/paste a path into the given text entry field.
--- End quote ---

I think the reason we object to the browse for folder dialog is that it has remained more or less the same since Win95, and is just plain horrible to use for that reason. It is missing all the usability enhancements that the open file dialog has that allows you to quickly find what you were looking for, and dialog extenders like FileBox eXtender or Direct Folders do not work with it either. Also, it defaults to showing you the desktop, and doesn't remember the last place you browsed to. This is all not your fault of course, and I don't know if there is a good alternative, but it is a terrible dialog imho.

With all the fancy stuff Microsoft are doing to explorer, I think they should spend an hour going back and fixing this atrocity -- on the other hand I guess we would risk a browse for folder ribbon :D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version