topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Handling mulitiple tasks on different desktops with nSpaces  (Read 8304 times)

bytesign

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Handling mulitiple tasks on different desktops with nSpaces
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Sometimes you may have many applications such as mail client, editor and Web browser running on one desktop, and you don't want to mess them up. But things go contrary to your wishes.

nSpaces is a virtual desktop manager application to manage multiple workspaces. Open one of workspaces, launch applications separately in each workspace to avoid clutter, make a tag to identify each workspace easily, set a different wallpaper/background color for each workspace, and set hotkeys to perform workspace switching tasks more easily. Unlike many virtual desktop application, nSpaces allows you to password protect your workspaces.

shot_large_1.png

more features at http://www.bytesignals.com/nspaces/.

Please give nSpaces a try! I promise it will improve your productivity.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Handling mulitiple tasks on different desktops with nSpaces
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Welcome to the site bytesign -- are you the author?

bytesign

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Yes, I am the author of nSpaces

bytesign

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Please give it a mini-reviews.
I got some reviews on lifehacker.com and ghack.net websites.

bytesign

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Need more suggestion to improve this tiny tool.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:24 PM »
Hokay, downloaded and installed, Win7 64-bit.

Not being critical, this is just what happened.

As soon as I tried to start the installation, I got a Win dialog, "Could Not Install," even though the install window came up.  There's something in the install process that triggers the Windows response to reinstall with different parameters.  I closed it, triggered your install process.

At end of install, error dialog "Couldn't register the hot key MOD_WIN:S."  Also happened every time I changed desktops - I did not do any manual configuration, so the subsequent messages could have been prevented - but the initial message was not something I could prevent.

Desktop icon is pretty plain - the system tray icon looks much better  ;).

It started running immediately upon installation, but I didn't know that until I clicked the desktop icon.  Not a problem, but a notification of some sort would be less confusing.

I'm running both Input Director and MS's Mouse without Borders - it's a test - and when I switched desktops, Input Director did not work on that desktop, but Mouse without Borders did.  Not a complaint, just information.

Don't really have time at the moment to check how things run on the different desktops, how to transfer running apps from one (1) desktop to another, and the like.

This appears to be a credible effort, and it seems to work well.  All in all, I'd say congratulations are in order for a functional tool  :Thmbsup:.

[Quick edit:  'twould be nice to be able to move a currently running app to a different desktop.]

bytesign

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 11:43 PM »
Hi Barney,

Thanks for your testing. You got the message "Couldn't register the hot key MOD_WIN:S.", because other applications have already registered the hotkey, Please change it via setting menu item. see it here http://www.bytesignals.com/blog/

Sinace a lot of users were confused by the message, I'll change the default to other one (maybe ctrl+shift+S) :)

If the message window still popups when you changed the hotkey "win+s", please let me know.

Thanks,
Dion.

bytesign

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member