ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple - not quite grasping the concept of privacy.

(1/9) > >>

nudone:
Does it matter, well, I suppose so. Am I surprised, not really, who would be these days...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/20/iphone-tracking-prompts-privacy-fears

It's a (Guardian) article about how mobile Apple devices are tracking and keeping records of your locations over several months. That's nice of them not to bother to ask first.

Eóin:
That's as outrageous as it is typical. Some scary, privacy related stuff is going down these days.

Deozaan:
Mobile phone companies (or companies that provide mobile data plans to non-phone devices, etc.) need to track your location to provide you with service. I don't have a problem with that.

But they really need to implement some sort of data destruction policy so they don't store your private information indefinitely.

EDIT: Okay, I admit I didn't read the article before posting what I did above. The kind of tracking Apple seems to be doing is blatant and inexcusable, IMO.

Renegade:
This is a fully documented feature on the bada platform:

http://developer.bada.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.osp.apireference.help/classOsp_1_1Social_1_1Lifelog.html

This class enables the browsing of the user's activity log data.
--- End quote ---

It can be a benefit for LBS. e.g. An application can then tell you where you spend most of your time, your transportation routes, which routes are fastest, etc.

The problem, as noted in other threads, is transparency.

zridling:
If I could, I would gladly live without a phone. Jobs would be in prison in my dictatorship until he could explain himself over this stunt. And his company would go broke paying all the customers he listened to. If he refused in any way, I could think of more creative ways to make sure billionaires learn to behave.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version