Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 30, 2014, 02:07:41 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here using a standing desk?  (Read 18513 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »

A friend who saw the photo told me that to complete the setup I should make a low chair and put my old chair on top of it.

phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »

A vote for the standing desk:

Sitting is Killing You" width="500"  border="0
Via: Medical Billing And Coding

Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »

I sit almost all day every day and I'm not obese. I'm actually underweight.

phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »

But at what angle, that's the question Wink

Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 03:29:27 PM »

So, If I am to believe this infographic, then eating gum while sitting would consume more energy than standing?
So, obviously the solution is not to get a standing desk, but to chew more gum!  cheesy
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 03:32:01 PM »

or to chew standing, to burn even more calories  Wink

Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »

Also, according to the graphic each extra hour of TV = 11% extra death risk,
So by that logic, watching 10 hours of TV would instantly drop you dead cheesy
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »

phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »

I have actually once watched the Lord of the rings trilogy in a row. That must be close to 10 hours. And loooots of snacks too  smiley

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

That's great!

<**expletive deleted**>

Wink

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »

I have actually once watched the Lord of the rings trilogy in a row. That must be close to 10 hours. And loooots of snacks too  smiley

You too? Hail fellow acolyte! Elen sila lumen omentilmo!

Did that ourselves during the last blizzard we had. Watched all three extended cuts. And then watched most of the 'extras' afterwards - with minor breaks for stretching, to prepare meals (eaten in front of the TV), replenish snack trays and drinks, and (human and dog) bathroom breaks. Great way to kill a whole day plus some. Especially when you're waiting for the roads to clear up enough so you can hire somebody to come over and shovel so you don't have to.

So, welcome to The Fellowship of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' Ring.

Boo-Yah Brother Mutant! With compliments from the FOTFOTRR - The Prancing Pony Chapterhouse. Thmbsup Grin

You are now 'officially authorized' to organize your own local chapter and make it (at least) an annual event!

Grin

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:07:46 PM by 40hz » Logged

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »

I have actually once watched the Lord of the rings trilogy in a row. That must be close to 10 hours. And loooots of snacks too  smiley

It's closer to 12 hours if you have the extended versions.

My brother and I had a tradition every Christmas to watch the LotR movies in the theaters, so the 4th year when they were all released we did the extended cut marathon. cheesy

Another time a couple years ago my wife and I met a woman approximately our age who was very small and had short curly hair. I later told my wife that this small woman reminded me of a hobbit. My wife didn't know what that was, so I turned on the first movie to show her and we ended up watching the entire trilogy. embarassed

40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »

I have actually once watched the Lord of the rings trilogy in a row. That must be close to 10 hours. And loooots of snacks too  smiley

It's closer to 12 hours if you have the extended versions.

My brother and I had a tradition every Christmas to watch the LotR movies in the theaters, so the 4th year when they were all released we did the extended cut marathon. cheesy

Another time a couple years ago my wife and I met a woman approximately our age who was very small and had short curly hair. I later told my wife that this small woman reminded me of a hobbit. My wife didn't know what that was, so I turned on the first movie to show her and we ended up watching the entire trilogy. embarassed

You're in too then!  Thmbsup

Shades

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »

I watched the trilogy in the cinema, the extended trilogy on DVD (twice) and the extended trilogy on BluRay...Where do I fit in?  tongue
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »

All in one sitting? ohmy huh

40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2011, 05:51:36 PM »

I watched the trilogy in the cinema, the extended trilogy on DVD (twice) and the extended trilogy on BluRay...Where do I fit in?  tongue

You can be President!  Thmbsup Grin

Shades

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »

If that was one sitting I should be "precious" instead of president!  cheesy
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »

Betanews had an article about this today. Perhaps some more insight into the idea of a standing desk.

Strength in Knowledge
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2011, 01:39:53 AM »

Don't know how I missed this thread  smiley.

The sitting/standing controversy has been going on for at least a good fifty (50) years.  Prolly longer, but I'm only aware of that time span.  As an old - then young - cripple, I've been through more desk/chair height configurations than most folk even know exist.  There is no single answer, as too much of the answer is dependent upon the physics of a given body.  Someone who weighs 300-400 pounds will not fare well at a standing desk - knees and ankles in particular will suffer, but lower back will be affected as well.  On the other hand, someone 4'11" and ninety (90) pounds will do much better.

The physics - read ergonomics - of any desk have an effect on carpal tunnel, lower back, upper back between the shoulders, neck, shoulders & collarbone area whether sitting or standing.  And the chairs for most desk configurations are seldom optimal for long-term desk usage.  And if it's a standing desk, it had best be the right height for you, or there will be suffering.  (Of course, the same thing is true of a sitting desk/chair combo.)

Over the years, I've used several variants of the ball chair, the knee chair (very good for my back, posture wise, but hell on the knees regardless how well padded), some specialty multi-adjustable office chairs.  The best thing I've found to date - for me - is an old-fashioned stenographer's chair, but they're getting damned hard to find  Grin, guess there ain't any old-fashioned stenographers around any more  Wink.

Anyway, half-a-century of direct experience has convinced me there is no one-solution-fits-all answer to this particular conundrum.  Basically, you'll just have to experiment to see what works best for you - but don't expect it to work for everyone - or anyone? - else.

Make a good day ... barn
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2011, 07:47:32 AM »

Good grief... That graphic has definitely motivated me. Scary stuff.

I saw a video with a computer/science fellow using a tread mill while working (he was walking).

So I think I may end up trying something like that. I sit way too much and I'm not losing weight. I'm fat and need to get rid of it. (Well, not that fat -- but fatter than I'd like. I'm not round or anything.)

Oh yeah, and Deozaan... for sitting all day and not gaining weight...

<This post has been interrupted by DontGetYurAssThrownInJailWare - your friendly program to censor your more explicit and legally damning posts. Have a nice day. Grin />

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2011, 06:41:03 PM »

"1 in 3 Americans is obese".

And that has everything to do with sitting rather than standing, and nothing to do with the kind of food being eaten and other lifestyle choices, right? smiley smiley smiley

- carpe noctem
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2011, 07:54:43 PM »

A telling point, sirrah!  I'm in that borderline country between the one (1) and the other two (2) (of your "1 in 3 Americans is obese" statement.  I.E., not fat, not trim, but definitely overweight  embarassed.  Had a mail shop supervisor many years agone who was obese before it became trendy ... his ankles killed him  smiley!  No way he could have used a standing desk.  Some days 'twas all he could to to walk from the entrance to his desk.  Someone in that shape - very round - is not gonna do well at a standing desk.  On the other hand, in that same mail shop, there was an admin, maybe five (5) feet tall, about 110 pounds, give or take five (5), who was just too plain damned lazy to stand at a desk, although she'd not have had a [known physical] problem doing it.

Methinks the standing desk advocates are more prone to advertising implying their physical prowess than they would have us believe, but, then, what do I know  tongue?

Make a good day ... barn
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2011, 01:02:59 AM »

do take note that prolonged standing has been known to cause varicose veins.. Wink

http://rocketsciencesense...anding-desk-warnings.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varicose_veins

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2011, 06:56:21 AM »

Hm... So if we put that with Phitsc's slide 3 (from above) that says chewing gum uses more energy than standing. We can conclude that it is safer to sit down, as long as you're chewing gum.

Or for an even tougher sell...How much energy does smoking require?
kfitting
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

do take note that prolonged standing has been known to cause varicose veins.. Wink

Come on, this statement is science not objective proof!   Grin  Here's an article "proving" the opposite.
http://www.veins.co.uk/new_myths_about_vv_standing.htm
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.06s | Server load: 0.18 ]