ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone here using a standing desk?

<< < (3/23) > >>

allen:
I'd mentioned this a while back with my physical therapist, who dismissed it as absurd that it was a good idea. Her concerns were the added strain on back and knees, largely. Her suggestion as an alternative mode of sitting was to use an exercise ball.  My desk is too high to try it, so I've just been making a conscious effort to make my desk ergonomically sound.

f0dder is right though, there's no ONE way that you should spend the entire day.

rgdot:
Like mentioned moving about is good, your eyes too, every 20 minutes or so make sure your eyes are concentrated on something farther away for 30 seconds.
As far as standing all day it would probably kill my ankle.

f0dder:
Her suggestion as an alternative mode of sitting was to use an exercise ball.-allen (April 20, 2011, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good suggestion! Takes a while getting used to them, though, and I'm sure a lot of people would dismiss them during that period; you're going to be using your muscles a lot more than you are while just sitting in a chair, and for an initial period this may very well result in a bit of muscle ache. Good for you, though, and once you've flexed those muscles for a while, the pain goes away - if not, then you're really doing something wrong :)

(post.dk had exercise balls as well).

tomos:
I tried an exercise ball for a while, but it kept rollling (forwards or backwards - I cant remember).
Maybe it was too big, I dunno...

I've seen a small exercise ball in a metal "frame-chair" - seemed comfortable - but I just sat in it briefly, & have no idea if they widely available.

mwb1100:
I've worked with someone who used an exercise ball at their desk.

One day it burst while he was sitting on it and he landed on the floor pretty hard.  It was one of the funniest things I've seen; I'm just glad he wasn't hurt (physically anyway).  I still chuckle a bit when I think about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version