This is a summary of getting PortableApps' Opera 11.10 to work with Voice. (Inspired by the Text-To-Speech Freeware?
- Install PortableApps' version of Opera 11.10 -- assuming below in a directory named 'OperaPortable'
- Start OperaPortable\OperaPortable.exe
- In Opera, navigate to Settings > Preferences > Advanced > Voice
- Enable, disable, and re-enable "Enable voice-controlled browsing" via the corresponding checkbox
- If asked whether to download some file, answer in the affirmative
- If after downloading, failure is reported, use a packet sniffer (e.g. SmartSniff from NirSoft or Wireshark) to determine a URL for the aforementioned file (the file name may look something like: 20110330.1.vxm_win_full_11.10.zip)
- Download the file in question
- Under OperaPortable\Data\profile, create a voice directory
- Extract the content of the zip file in the new directory (so the new directory should contain files with names including vxm.dll, vxmplugin.dll, etc.)
- Via Opera's address bar, access opera:config#VoiceXML|VoiceXMLEnabled and ensure it is checked
- Similarly, access opera:config#VoiceXML|VoiceXmlPlugin and ensure it refers to OperaPortable\Data\profile\voice\vxmplugin.dll
- Save preferences if necessary
- Restart Opera
- Select some text in a page displayed in Opera, right-click to bring up a context menu, and choose the "Speak" item
Tested (only the reading aloud portion) with Windows XP SP3.