ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Proof That People Cannot Read (EULAs)

<< < (4/6) > >>

mwb1100:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
nice story 40hz!
-mouser (April 18, 2011, 06:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Only in retrospect. That reprimand set the tone for the rest of my tenure with that company. I got passed over for a promotion twice because of it.

Moral: Next time you think of something really clever to pull at work: Don't.  :-\

-40hz (April 18, 2011, 09:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ouch!

wraith808:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
nice story 40hz!
--- End quote ---

Only in retrospect. That reprimand set the tone for the rest of my tenure with that company. I got passed over for a promotion twice because of it.
--- End quote ---

Truthfully, if they passed me over for promotion because of that, and if that was my boss' response to it, it wouldn't be a place I'd want to work.  True, there are some lines, and there are times and places for it- but that response was more than a bit over the top if it wasn't a document for a client.

Renegade:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
nice story 40hz!
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Truthfully, if they passed me over for promotion because of that, and if that was my boss' response to it, it wouldn't be a place I'd want to work.  True, there are some lines, and there are times and places for it- but that response was more than a bit over the top if it wasn't a document for a client.
-wraith808 (April 18, 2011, 09:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't see the harm in it. It's a check to see if reviewers actually reviewed it. If nobody catches it, then you go back and delete it before it goes out, or ask to have it reviewed again, but this time properly.

@40Hz - Your boss there seems short-sighted.

40hz:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
nice story 40hz!
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Truthfully, if they passed me over for promotion because of that, and if that was my boss' response to it, it wouldn't be a place I'd want to work.  True, there are some lines, and there are times and places for it- but that response was more than a bit over the top if it wasn't a document for a client.
-wraith808 (April 18, 2011, 09:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't see the harm in it. It's a check to see if reviewers actually reviewed it. If nobody catches it, then you go back and delete it before it goes out, or ask to have it reviewed again, but this time properly.

@40Hz - Your boss there seems short-sighted.
-Renegade (April 18, 2011, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

It was a document for internal use by very senior management. It was also at a Fortune 500 company back when they used to take that designation very seriously.

My boss was a bit of a drudge with no sense of humor. But he was a fairly decent guy to work for most times. The getting passed over for promotion part was more because an advance copy of my report (which wasn't supposed to go out without approval) got sent over to the General Manager's office by special request prior to its final proofing and sign-off. My little joke got spotted by the GM's secretary, who made a snarly phone call to my boss about it. It was more her phone call than the joke itself that put me in the dog house. She was pretty well connected up on "mahogany row" because she'd been around forever and was personal friends with the company's founders. So nobody ever messed with her if they could avoid it.

Don't know if she actually said something to directly cause problems for me. But having the people I reported to know she didn't like me certainly didn't help my career much.

Either way, it was a dumb move on my part.

Live and learn. :)

------------------

@wraith - I agree with you about their reaction being over the top. And it not being a place I'd want to work at. Because the second time I missed out on a promotion (which all my cohorts were sure I'd receive) I decided I wanted to leave. Especially after I found out why I didn't get it.

But that's what ultimately got me out of finance and into computers, so no complaints.

In the end it was all for the best. Like so many things. :)

app103:
Not entirely related to Eula's, but I've always love this line from many OS licenses

This software is provided by the copyright holders and contributors "as is" and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are disclaimed-http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
--- End quote ---

When included in a Eula, the user is actually accepting that the program might not be fit for use nor do what it claims to do. From a legal point it makes sense, but imagine if the websites were up front- "This program does X, but I don't claim it's suitable to do X!"
-Eóin (April 18, 2011, 07:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

A few of my applications contain this one:

SpoilerDISCLAIMER:

This program is provided as is.
There are no claims made that it will work, not cause your pc
problems, etc etc.

Your mileage may vary, parental guidance is advised, call
before you dig, consult your doctor, action figures sold
separately, see a qualified tax professional, mind the gap, may
contain peanuts, no user serviceable parts inside, etc etc etc.

If this program causes your PC to explode, which in turn sets
your house on fire, killing your neighbor's dog, you assume all
responsibility for such and not me.

Use at your own risk!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version