Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 20, 2014, 01:53:35 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Proof That People Cannot Read (EULAs)  (Read 6074 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »

Prepare to piss yourself laughing...

And from JoS:

...I added text with coupon code (40% off) to the EULA... It was at about half scroll down and masked inside the text, so only people who actually read it will get the discount...

Results, as many of you may already propose: no one bought using this coupon!

(Go look at the screenshot again... you probably didn't read it... :p )

Hahahahaha~!

That's just way funny!

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »

cheesy

I pity the fool who reads every EULA!
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »

Grin

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »

I don't think I have ever read any EULA. When I did scroll down to the very end it was because otherwise the continue button wouldn't activate.
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »

I don't think I have ever read any EULA. When I did scroll down to the very end it was because otherwise the continue button wouldn't activate.

^ This +1

rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »

EULA should read:

You bought it now use it but don't ask for support

tongue
mwb1100
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »

I'll often scan a EULA to get details on the vendor's policy for allowing multiple computer/single user use (or not allowing it), when I can't get that cleared up on the the vendor's website.  I still might not have gotten to the discount, since the answer to my question is in item (c).

Now I have to find out what RadioBOSS is...  Doesn't sound like something that even a 40% discount would make me bite.

By the way, a sometimes I've done something similar with documents I write for work.  When sending them out for review, I put in a line of text saying, "If you're the first reviewer to mention this sentence, I'll buy you lunch."  I'd say about half the time, I get called on it.  I can't remember where i got the idea - I think it was at my first 'real' job at a transit/traffic consulting firm where someone did this.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:01:37 PM by mwb1100 » Logged
MilesAhead

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »

Hmmmm, I wonder if there are any laws about minimum font size with these agreements.  Some of the print is so small it might as well be on a microdot.

Even if you can read it, unless you've been to law school, what good is it? Usually the terms are not what a reasonable person would infer but some jazz about "customary practice."  Meaning, business has been ripping people off this way for over 100 years, therefore it's "customary practice" in the industry.  So quit bitchin' about it and take the hit!!   cheesy

If they really wanted people to read it they should give away one of those divers where you put baking soda in his boot to make him go. smiley

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »

What about people who already bought it before installing it, therefore not having even been presented with the EULA until after purchase? How does the 40% discount work for them?

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »

By the way, a sometimes I've done something similar with documents I write for work.  When sending them out for review, I put in a line of text saying, "If you're the first reviewer to mention this sentence, I'll buy you lunch."  I'd say about half the time, I get called on it.  I can't remember where i got the idea - I think it was at my first 'real' job at a transit/traffic consulting firm where someone did this.

Hope you made out better than I did doing almost the same thing at my first real job.

I put a single line in the middle of a paragraph about halfway into a twenty page financial analysis I had just completed. I had offered to buy and bring the first person who saw it their morning coffee for an entire month.

I got called into my manager's office about an hour after I sent it up for approval. After being reminded we were expected to "act professionally at all times" (since this was the "grownup world") he strongly cautioned me against pulling any further "college pranks" if I planned on continuing to work there. I was then sent back to my desk with a red face and my tail between my legs.

But not before my manager also reminded me that, per my offer, I now owed him a month's worth of free coffee. (Black, two sugars please?)

(He made sure he collected on it too.)

embarassed
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:51:58 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
nice story 40hz!
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 07:47:32 PM »

Not entirely related to Eula's, but I've always love this line from many OS licenses

This software is provided by the copyright holders and contributors "as is" and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are disclaimed

When included in a Eula, the user is actually accepting that the program might not be fit for use nor do what it claims to do. From a legal point it makes sense, but imagine if the websites were up front- "This program does X, but I don't claim it's suitable to do X!"

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »

Many many moons ago, I had a very NSFW EULA... One person posted it somewhere on the net. He was bored, and looking for funny/odd EULAs for some reason. I forget where he posted it. Some blog.

So, at least one person read at least 1 EULA. smiley

Anyways, for your amusement...

Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 08:37:16 PM »

But you don't define chronic, it would never stand up in court cheesy

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 09:22:06 PM »

nice story 40hz!

Only in retrospect. That reprimand set the tone for the rest of my tenure with that company. I got passed over for a promotion twice because of it.

Moral: Next time you think of something really clever to pull at work: Don't.  undecided

mwb1100
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »

nice story 40hz!

Only in retrospect. That reprimand set the tone for the rest of my tenure with that company. I got passed over for a promotion twice because of it.

Moral: Next time you think of something really clever to pull at work: Don't.  undecided

Ouch!
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 09:43:31 PM »

nice story 40hz!

Truthfully, if they passed me over for promotion because of that, and if that was my boss' response to it, it wouldn't be a place I'd want to work.  True, there are some lines, and there are times and places for it- but that response was more than a bit over the top if it wasn't a document for a client.

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 10:17:46 PM »

nice story 40hz!

Truthfully, if they passed me over for promotion because of that, and if that was my boss' response to it, it wouldn't be a place I'd want to work.  True, there are some lines, and there are times and places for it- but that response was more than a bit over the top if it wasn't a document for a client.

I can't see the harm in it. It's a check to see if reviewers actually reviewed it. If nobody catches it, then you go back and delete it before it goes out, or ask to have it reviewed again, but this time properly.

@40Hz - Your boss there seems short-sighted.

40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 10:48:47 PM »

nice story 40hz!

Truthfully, if they passed me over for promotion because of that, and if that was my boss' response to it, it wouldn't be a place I'd want to work.  True, there are some lines, and there are times and places for it- but that response was more than a bit over the top if it wasn't a document for a client.

I can't see the harm in it. It's a check to see if reviewers actually reviewed it. If nobody catches it, then you go back and delete it before it goes out, or ask to have it reviewed again, but this time properly.

@40Hz - Your boss there seems short-sighted.

It was a document for internal use by very senior management. It was also at a Fortune 500 company back when they used to take that designation very seriously.

My boss was a bit of a drudge with no sense of humor. But he was a fairly decent guy to work for most times. The getting passed over for promotion part was more because an advance copy of my report (which wasn't supposed to go out without approval) got sent over to the General Manager's office by special request prior to its final proofing and sign-off. My little joke got spotted by the GM's secretary, who made a snarly phone call to my boss about it. It was more her phone call than the joke itself that put me in the dog house. She was pretty well connected up on "mahogany row" because she'd been around forever and was personal friends with the company's founders. So nobody ever messed with her if they could avoid it.

Don't know if she actually said something to directly cause problems for me. But having the people I reported to know she didn't like me certainly didn't help my career much.

Either way, it was a dumb move on my part.

Live and learn. smiley

------------------

@wraith - I agree with you about their reaction being over the top. And it not being a place I'd want to work at. Because the second time I missed out on a promotion (which all my cohorts were sure I'd receive) I decided I wanted to leave. Especially after I found out why I didn't get it.

But that's what ultimately got me out of finance and into computers, so no complaints.

In the end it was all for the best. Like so many things. smiley

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:16:53 AM by 40hz » Logged

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »

Not entirely related to Eula's, but I've always love this line from many OS licenses

This software is provided by the copyright holders and contributors "as is" and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are disclaimed

When included in a Eula, the user is actually accepting that the program might not be fit for use nor do what it claims to do. From a legal point it makes sense, but imagine if the websites were up front- "This program does X, but I don't claim it's suitable to do X!"

A few of my applications contain this one:

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 03:31:44 AM »

Looks like some people read the legal text. But not the proofreaders. This one is making the rounds on Twitter:

http://m.store.verizonwireless.com/iphone/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:51:45 AM by Deozaan » Logged

MilesAhead

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »

Use at your own risk!

Your bottom line is similar to what I use. I just put "free for you to use at your own risk." Should be good enough catch all similar to selling a car "as is."

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 06:10:25 PM »

Looks like some people read the legal text. But not the proofreaders. This one is making the rounds on Twitter:

I don't get it... I didn't see any legal text there.

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »

I don't get it... I didn't see any legal text there.

Looks like they fixed it. Good thing I took a screengrab:

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »

Not reading an EULA can be VERY expensive.

I just put up some screenshots from my Android here:

http://cynic.me/2011/04/2...in-an-ipad-2-a-mobile-ad/

$10 per week + $5 to "join". To get a *chance* to win an iPad... OUCH~!

The ad in the game:

The "contest" screen. (composite with comments)

And you KNOW damn well that they're COUNTING on you NOT scrolling down enough or reading the terms. You THINK that you're entering a contest/lottery, but you're not. You're signing up for some stuff. I think that stuff has been in the news before. It's not new.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.083s | Server load: 0.05 ]