topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: US rolls out Internet Identity Plan  (Read 3293 times)

jaden

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
US rolls out Internet Identity Plan
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:23 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/04/with-passwords-broken-us-rolls-out-internet-identity-plan.ars

Just saw this post on ARS.  This is a big issue and their solution has merit, though it's not bulletproof.  If this goes mainstream I'm sure it will be exploited, but it seems better than our current solution with hundreds of passwords.

The final version of NSTIC tries to address two problems: the fact that passwords are "broken" and the fact that it's almost impossible to prove your identity on the Internet. The future belongs to smart cards, cell phones, USB security sticks, and similar solutions—when the Department of Defense moved away from passwords to a smartcard security solution, it saw network intrusions drop by 46 percent.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: US rolls out Internet Identity Plan
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:33 PM »
the government wants to squelch any talk of a "national Internet ID card" and emphasize that the plan will be both voluntary and led by the private sector.

They're treading very lightly as well.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

jaden

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:21 AM »
They're treading very lightly as well.

I noticed that too.  It seems complaints about privacy have had a positive effect.  8)

...the final version contains an even stronger emphasis on NSTIC being a private-sector, voluntary undertaking. This point was stressed so many times in a background briefing call for reporters this morning that it's clear the government fears a potential backlash against its efforts.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:32 PM »
the implications of such an id goes far beyond the "[...] fact that passwords are "broken" and the fact that it's almost impossible to prove your identity on the Internet".
As, mostly...
it would be more convenient for law enforcement (not to mention intelligence agencies) if a more traditional, centralized system were used.
In any case here's another related article