topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft Origami  (Read 4421 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft Origami
« on: March 04, 2006, 06:53 AM »
No, it has nothing to do with folding paper ;)
But still, looks like a good idea.
Anyone knows something about it?
I found this video, and this article (found on digg.com).
It's some sort of mini laptop, with proising features.
I think it was already released (or should be), but i couldn't find anything on microsoft.com .
The really important thing here is the price (i.e. if it's really realy cheaper than a laptop) and the functionality (if it's not a brick-like thing with a bunch of built-in functionalities and no chances of expanding).
 :feedback:

OGroeger

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Origami
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 11:52 AM »
There is a (german) article on spiegel online (http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/technologie/0,1518,404076,00.html). It's a bit biting written and mentions that Microsoft is trying to do some "viral marketing", meaning that they spread rumours about something to start a hype. What seems to be behind is that on the cebit  samsung will present a tablet pc with intel hardware and running Microsoft XP. The price is about 500-1000 US-Dollars.

Some urls are liste, too:

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 05:10 AM »
Yeah, Tablet PC meets Notebook :) Lets see how many similar portable PCs will be available.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 05:29 AM »
Yeah, Tablet PC meets Notebook :) Lets see how many similar portable PCs will be available.
You know, BrotherS i'm hoping it'll be "tablet pc meets wrist clock" meaning maybe someday, everyone will have one of these.
(actually, i don't use wrist clock  :tellme:)

There already are computers being sold in least-favoured countries at wrist-clock prices.
It'd be nice if that kind of "cheap" technology in conjunction with origami's technology could generate and affordable product, since:
The price is about 500-1000 US-Dollars.
That might be a problem :(

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 01:23 PM »
You know, BrotherS i'm hoping it'll be "tablet pc meets wrist clock" meaning maybe someday, everyone will have one of these.
(actually, i don't use wrist clock  :tellme:)
I stopped using wrist watches too. But I would only want something you suggest if it has an 10" pull-out screen or something like that :)

There already are computers being sold in least-favoured countries at wrist-clock prices.
It'd be nice if that kind of "cheap" technology in conjunction with origami's technology could generate and affordable product, since:
The price is about 500-1000 US-Dollars.
That might be a problem :(
I don't think so - just look at the prices of feature-packed new mobile phones...