topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The anti-piracy lobby makes a convincing argument  (Read 6107 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The anti-piracy lobby makes a convincing argument
« on: April 17, 2011, 12:53 PM »
I've always marvelled at the effectiveness of the anti-piracy campaign. Here's another gem they can be proud of.

P.S. - Bonus points for anyone who knows which software the guy in the video is using.

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=KPNL82EY1dY

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The anti-piracy lobby makes a convincing argument
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:16 PM »
 ;D

I am surprised they haven't gone the religious route and invoke images of hell and fire

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Here's Google's latest attempt to stop us upload copyrighted material.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:44 PM »
It's kind of amusing to have them implying inferior quality on a download when you look at how poor the transfer is on so many of the commercial BlueRay releases. Especially when compared to the same titles on standard DVD.

If BlueRay is the future, give me the past.

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:50 PM »

Hey, that's pretty neat! I can't wait for the video that explains fair use of copyrighted material in greater depth!

I'll just wait here for it to be produced!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:52 PM »

Hey, that's pretty neat! I can't wait for the video that explains fair use of copyrighted material in greater depth!

I'll just wait here for it to be produced!

Like this one?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 06:07 PM »
I've always marvelled at the effectiveness of the anti-piracy campaign. Here's another gem they can be proud of.

P.S. - Bonus points for anyone who knows which software the guy in the video is using.

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=KPNL82EY1dY

While the production value is excellent, which is to be expected, the messaging is kind of dumb.

The fact is that broadband is much faster, so it's faster to download a video from a bittorrent or buy a movie from a legitimate online store than it is to go to the store and buy a DVD.

I have "real" DVDs that I've gone to play and... ooops... They don't work! Because of a macrovision screwup or region coding problems... This is what I get for buying "real" DVDs? Problems?

Piracy is a problem, but they need to stop being wankers about distribution and pricing and make them broadly available for online downloading. iTunes isn't the answer. They should have a generic store setup with a decent API and a good CDN (Akamai) then let people set up online stores to sell. Meh... whatever. I don't think I'm the only one that has lost all respect for the RIAA/MPAA. Heck, charge for the movie and a "delivery fee" for the bandwidth to download it. But pleeeeeeaaassseee... Get into the modern world...

I've stopped buying anything from iTunes anymore. Now, I might browse in iTunes (rarely), but I buy DVDs in the store because they're the same price, and I have the option to rip them to non-f****d formats on disk that are more reliable.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Don't they realise that ALL material uploaded is copyrighted? Technically these lines I type are copyright me whether i assert it or not...

They should be more precise "content which a large corporation claims intellectual monopoly" and "uploaded in ways not considered fair use"

The digital distribution system does not yet allow usage patterns which everyone would consider fair, such as two married people both being able to play a music tune or a game, or read a book... (which would be totally easy if the music or game was bought on DVD, or the book bought in print)