ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

A very good (and free) captcha class in PHP (Recommendation)

<< < (2/3) > >>

vlastimil:
So if we agree that captchas are bad at all, and that there ARE situations where you need one, my finding is still one of the better ones.

And as we talk about Javascript. What if you have customers with JS disabled? Doesn't that mean you hate them when you make your pages unusable without JS? E.g. in my browser JS is disabled and scripts are blocked all the time unless i allow a page to execute scripts. How annoying if i have to enable scripts all the time. :)
-JoTo (April 15, 2011, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess, the way your use of captchas is perfectly fine. If you do not actually want people to use that form, captcha is a good way ;D.

It is true that some of the functionality of my pages will not be available to people with JS disabled. This affects 1-2% of visitors - captchas in wrong place affect 100%. I am happy with that state, especially when the interaction with the web is way smoother for the 98-99% with JS on.

rgdot:
In registration and contact form situations captchas are as close to ineffective as one can get, in those and most other situations one really should use a question/answer script.
As an inconvenience it is only mildly so in my opinion, I think by now most understand why they exist and accept them, it's worse if they are not effective - so later the user doesn't see its benefit - which takes us back to using question/answer.

Renegade:
I should apologize for this post in advance. I know, you think you have found a very good thing, but I do not believe there is or ever will be a "good" captcha. They are a major annoyance for end users. Putting them on your web site is like saying "I hate you" to your visitors. Spam is your problem, you should solve it. It is not your visitor's problem. They don't care.

I have 0 captchas on my site and the level of spam I am getting is negligible. It is because my forms are protected by other means. I use invisible codes that expire after some time, I do not have the form source code in the html, but use javascript to display it. I submit the forms via ajax. This improves the user experience and prevents spam.

Google for "without captchas" and you'll get a lot of resources. It takes more time to build a site without captchas, but it is worth it.
-vlastimil (April 15, 2011, 03:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Custom solutions always work better because any solution that gains any kind of popularity is targeted by spammers.

Form protection with custom IDs and names is fairly easy to break though. Codes are the same. I came across that on one site I was doing some automation with. It took a few extra minutes to get things working.

But using JavaScript and AJAX is a good deal better to protect things. It forces you to check the rendered document, which is more difficult than simply walking the DOM to find things.

+1 for no CAPTCHAs. They're simply horrible to deal with. I've been at sites that I couldn't figure out the CAPTCHA for. Not fun.

mahesh2k:
I don't care for readers if they can't understand my trouble with bots and russian captcha breaker sites. I need to use captcha if captcha breaker sites or xrummer or similar sites hurt my blog or site. Economic times are very hard, if i have to choose between captcha and readers, my vote goes to captcha. Readers (which are not converting for me in terms of any value) are not helping me in any way. I have to sort spam and server load if i don't pay attention to spam bots or manual spammers. So i'm with captcha, as long as it gives me result.

Renegade:
I don't care for readers if they can't understand my trouble with bots and russian captcha breaker sites. I need to use captcha if captcha breaker sites or xrummer or similar sites hurt my blog or site. Economic times are very hard, if i have to choose between captcha and readers, my vote goes to captcha. Readers (which are not converting for me in terms of any value) are not helping me in any way. I have to sort spam and server load if i don't pay attention to spam bots or manual spammers. So i'm with captcha, as long as it gives me result.
-mahesh2k (April 16, 2011, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I know what you mean there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version