Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 11:52:58 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Virtualization to Create Single EXEs from Mixed Assemblies  (Read 6953 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »

This might be a useful heads-up for some people.

http://boxedapp.com/

It lets you create a single EXE file from multiple and mixed DLLs, so you can have a .NET program that pulls in native DLLs, but package it all as a single EXE.

BoxedApp Packer is a developer utility for converting your regular full-fledged applications to single self-sustaining executable files that don't require the installation in order to be run. That literally means that you can squeeze all ActiveX controls, dynamic libraries, and just all kinds of files that your original application depends on into a single executable file and run it just as if that was a regular application installed the regular way...

I've given it a quick few tests, and it pans out. Works very nicely.

Now, you can't use it for something like this call:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("blah.exe");

But boohoo. Everything else seems pretty slick.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:03:40 AM »

Hey! Renegade's got a new avatar. Like it! Thmbsup

Thx for the heads up too!

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Renegade
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:15:21 AM »

Hey! Renegade's got a new avatar. Like it! Thmbsup

Thx for the heads up too!

Thanks! It was one of those pieces of artwork that I bought while doing Super Simple. It was just so cute. smiley

But do check out that BoxedApp. It's slick.

It's 300 Euro, but really, for that kind of software? That's cheap!

Of course, if you only need to merge .NET assemblies, then ILMerge.exe is the way to go.

Incidentally, Infralution's .NET Encryptor packs assemblies together, but I don't know if it will do mixed... I should check...

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:25:33 AM »

Checked:

http://www.infralution.co...pBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1928

No. Infralution's .NET Encryptor only does .NET assemblies.

So, that leaves BoxedApp at the top of my list so far.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:47:16 PM »

Hrm, if it supports both .NET assemblies and native DLLs, it has to either

1) unbundle the files to %TEMP% or whereever.
2) use manually coded and potentially fragile routines to load the native assemblies.

If the product does #1, please don't use it for your end-users' sake. Temp files == slow, and can trigger antivirus programs in the depressing way. If it's #2, test the result carefully across a wide range of Windows versions.

- carpe noctem
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »

Hrm, if it supports both .NET assemblies and native DLLs, it has to either

1) unbundle the files to %TEMP% or whereever.
2) use manually coded and potentially fragile routines to load the native assemblies.

If the product does #1, please don't use it for your end-users' sake. Temp files == slow, and can trigger antivirus programs in the depressing way. If it's #2, test the result carefully across a wide range of Windows versions.

It's virtualization. It loads DLLs into memory, then accesses them from there.

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »

Check here:

http://boxedapp.com/technology.html

MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:30:51 AM »

I've only given this a cursory try, but Enigma Virtual Box is similar and free.  There's an enhanced paid version.

Since I read this thread it prompted me to visit the site again. Seems v. 2.0 of EVB was just released on the 14th:

http://www.enigmaprotector.com/en/home.html

The "Protector" version claims .NET support and sells for $149 USD for single user license. I played around a bit with the free version. It was easy to use.  Rather like a simple installer wrapper app.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:35:47 AM by MilesAhead » Logged

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »

I've only given this a cursory try, but Enigma Virtual Box is similar and free.  There's an enhanced paid version.

Since I read this thread it prompted me to visit the site again. Seems v. 2.0 of EVB was just released on the 14th:

http://www.enigmaprotector.com/en/home.html

The "Protector" version claims .NET support and sells for $149 USD for single user license. I played around a bit with the free version. It was easy to use.  Rather like a simple installer wrapper app.

Nice find! I've not tried it yet, but I'll give it a spin and post back what I find.

Thanks!

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 07:10:49 AM »

Well, it looks like the free one doesn't work for mixed assemblies. I've posted here: http://forum.enigmaprotec...wtopic.php?f=20&t=807 --We'll see what happens.

Still have the other one to try out.

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 07:27:24 AM »

Nope. Doesn't seem to work for mixed assemblies.

I didn't try with pure native or pure .NET.

Oh well. Otherwise, it looks like a good product. Just not what I was looking for.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »

Virtualization is such a fluff word these days, and their "technology" page is very brief - but it seems like they're doing #2 from my post above. Be sure to test extensively on various Windows platforms... the base code to skip Windows PE-executable/DLL loader and do your own is relatively easy, but there's craploads of special case stuff to handle, and you need to hook a lot of API functions in the manually loaded image - and getting all that code right is not trivial.

- carpe noctem
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »

Virtualization is such a fluff word these days, and their "technology" page is very brief - but it seems like they're doing #2 from my post above. Be sure to test extensively on various Windows platforms... the base code to skip Windows PE-executable/DLL loader and do your own is relatively easy, but there's craploads of special case stuff to handle, and you need to hook a lot of API functions in the manually loaded image - and getting all that code right is not trivial.

All the more reason to buy rather than build! smiley

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »

Well, it looks like the free one doesn't work for mixed assemblies. I've posted here: http://forum.enigmaprotec...wtopic.php?f=20&t=807 --We'll see what happens.

Still have the other one to try out.

Well, to follow up, the guys a f***ing star! Seriously. The developer is amazing. He's followed up with information and checked the files I sent. Now, the problem isn't solved, but jeez... The developer is trying! That's a lot more than you get from most companies.

Check the forum link in the quote above -- you'll see what I mean.

steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »

Glad to hear it!  I found it just yesterday on AlternativeTo when I was looking for Cameyo.  This is another free one like enigma that may, or may not do what you were looking at.  AlternativeTo has a few others in the category as well.  I personally was just seeing what was out there as an alternative to VMware ThinApp which I know is a great product, but rather expensive for individual use - like most VMware products.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 12:02:35 AM »

Glad to hear it!  I found it just yesterday on AlternativeTo when I was looking for Cameyo.  This is another free one like enigma that may, or may not do what you were looking at.  AlternativeTo has a few others in the category as well.  I personally was just seeing what was out there as an alternative to VMware ThinApp which I know is a great product, but rather expensive for individual use - like most VMware products.

I've used Cameyo as well, but it's an end-user focused program, and not a developer-oriented one. There are significant drawbacks with it. If you're looking to deploy an application as a software author, Cameyo runs lower down the list of good options.

I've not tried the VMware one though. I should have a look.

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 12:05:27 AM »

Ummm...

You seem to have a little, tiny, miniscule, microscopic, tendency towards understatement... Wink

http://store.vmware.com/s...D&rests=1303534979056

Starting at $6,050.00?

Ummm... I think I'll stop even looking at it...

tongue cheesy

MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 03:57:04 AM »

Starting at $6,050.00?

I hope it's as least "buy one get one free" or get the second one for a penny.

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
JulsSmile
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »

Have heard much about boxedapp. I too want such a program, for me it would have been helpful. How can I get the key?
Ath
Supporting Member

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »

I too want such a program, for me it would have been helpful. How can I get the key?
Euhm, buy it from the publishers?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.07 ]