ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Single hotkey to call an AddressBook

<< < (2/2)

davcom:
I currently use Thunderbird & its address book.

My point is two-fold.

1. Hotkey to launch the address book
2. Search field as first action to type a few characters that shortlist below the search field all available matches. As FARR does for finding programs spread out through your PC I want to find contacts within an addressbook.

Without both those it's no more than launching any old address book. T'bird for eg wants you to specify whether you're searching on the name fields or the number fields etc (last time I looked). It's not a search on ALL pertinent fields simultaneously (usually done through concatenating the relevant fields into a single large field for search/indexing purposes).

I either want to put in part of a name and see the number(s) I need to call them (Home, Work, Mobile) or part of a number and see the person associated with that number, or part of an address, etc.

davcom:
@ewemoa   that -addressbook option for T'bird looks promising and I will give that a try but theres still the "search on all pertinent fields at once" option that I'd like to see implemented.....

Must dash... back in a few hours.

ewemoa:
I either want to put in part of a name and see the number(s) I need to call them (Home, Work, Mobile) or part of a number and see the person associated with that number, or part of an address, etc.
-davcom (April 13, 2011, 11:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wonder if what's mentioned at the following could be tweaked to be of any help:

http://ifacethoughts.net/2010/08/09/configuring-thunderbirds-addressbook-search/

davcom:
@ewemoa - that Thunderbird tweak for opening just the addressbook portion is good. I'll add it to the list of things I do for my clients.

ewemoa:
Hope it turns out to be helpful :)

BTW, I didn't know how to set the keyboard focus to the search field (not sure of terminology here):

IDEA: Single hotkey to call an AddressBook

Quite by accident I found the Tab key seems to do it...still haven't found relevant docs for that.  Any one seen that documented any where?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version