ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Deduplication, encryption, security and... Dropbox

<< < (11/16) > >>

Deozaan:
And here comes the "workaround":

http://lifehacker.com/5799313/secretsync-secures-your-sensitive-files-before-syncing-them-to-dropbox-and-weve-got-beta-invites
-phitsc (May 06, 2011, 10:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

That SecretSync looks neato. Thanks!

Armando:
I installed it 2 weeks ago and it feels unfinished. Did you try it ?
I don't think I was offered to chose the location of the "SecretSync" folder (in Windows XP, the default (only?) location is in C:\Documents and Settings\). Are/were you able to select the location of the SecretSync Folder?

Deozaan:
I installed it 2 weeks ago and it feels unfinished. Did you try it ?
I don't think I was offered to chose the location of the "SecretSync" folder (in Windows XP, the default (only?) location is in C:\Documents and Settings\). Are/were you able to select the location of the SecretSync Folder?
-Armando (May 23, 2011, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I tried it.

No, I wasn't able to select the location. It just goes into my User directory. It's kind of a bummer that it makes Dropbox a bit more inconvenient to use, but since I'm only putting select files where encryption is important to me in there, I guess I probably won't need to use it that often.

kyrathaba:
Another interesting article on Dropbox insecurity.

kyrathaba:
If you are going to store data online always encrypt it locally first in your computer, never trust a third party service like Dropbox or Hushmail with your data even if they tell you they can’t access it and that everything is fine, the bottom line here is that they have access to the decryption key.

Besides the chances of  encryption implementations being flawed by your online storage service, they can do anything they like with the decryption keys, if you send the data already encrypted to your online storage space you will be the only one who can decide when and how to decrypt your confidential files, you will also protect yourself from a rogue employee tempted to look at your confidential files.

PS: I am adding Dropbox to my shit list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version