ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Deduplication, encryption, security and... Dropbox

<< < (6/16) > >>

nudone:
Let the great Dropbox Diaspora begin!

CleverCat:
phitsc - check your messages for invite...  :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
... and encryption really shouldn't slow anything down unless you've got an insane-speed internet connection :)
-f0dder (April 15, 2011, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't the act of encryption slow things down?  i.e. step 1 encrypt, step 2 upload instead of just step 1 upload?-wraith808 (April 15, 2011, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
A fast consumer internet connection has 100kb/s upload rate. A 3 year old dualcore laptop can do ~140mb/s AES encryption :)

I've asked Dropbox support if their FAQ statement that says that "Dropbox employees aren't able to access user files" were really true. Their response:

Yes. Dropbox employees can't access the file's contents. They can see the file names, move, delete or even restore files, but can't view them. The only exceptions are the executive staff who have a vested interest the company.
--- End quote ---

I have to admit that I am shocked about their slack interpretation of the word "employee". To be honest, I feel cheated by that FAQ statement. Already the fact that any employee could actually delete my files is unbelievable.-phitsc (April 16, 2011, 12:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
W...T...F?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Armando:
Yes. Dropbox employees can't access the file's contents. They can see the file names, move, delete or even restore files, but can't view them. The only exceptions are the executive staff who have a vested interest the company.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for sharing that, phitsc.
It seems very wrong. Even if their definition of employee wasn't slack...

AndyM:
This:
Yes. Dropbox employees can't access the file's contents. ....  The only exceptions are the executive staff who have a vested interest the company.
--- End quote ---
makes this:
"Dropbox employees aren't able to access user files"
--- End quote ---

a lie.

Try telling the IRS that any executive staff, whether or not they are officers of the corporation, whether or not they own stock or have any other vested interest, are not employees of the corporation. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version