ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ARS reviews Linux Gnome 3.0

(1/2) > >>

zridling:
ARS reviews the new Gnome 3.0:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2011/04/ars-reviews-gnome-30-a-shiny-new-ornament-for-your-linux-lawn.ars

The new version also represents a major architectural overhaul, with many important enhancements to the GNOME platform's technical underpinnings. But it's not all good news: The new GNOME Shell is built largely with the Clutter drawing toolkit and depends on composited rendering to function properly. If you don't have compatible graphics hardware or drivers, you won't get to run the new shell. It will instead punt you back to a more conventional 2.x-style desktop with regular GNOME panels.

Love the app launcher, though!

zridling:
PS: That gnome being stolen by aliens can be found here:
http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/whatonearth/Item_Alien-Gnome-Bandits-Garden-Accent-15_VG8392_ps_srm.html

Lashiec:
GNOME 3, codename "Pointless waste of space". What's up with the humongous widgets and the insane amount of wasted space in the different windows? Is everyone in the GNOME team using 30" monitors or what? I hope the different Linux distros will come up with sane themes, because I should not be using XFCE just to avoid this horror.

I wonder if the new app launcher will be competing with GNOME Do in terms of features and extensibility?

zridling:
I wonder if the new app launcher will be competing with GNOME Do in terms of features and extensibility?-Lashiec (April 12, 2011, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure, but that person definitely has the icon text way too small. (I'm a KDE guy since 4.0.) Hoping Tuxman or 40hz has some play time with one of their distros this month to try it out.

Deozaan:
Not sure, but that person definitely has the icon text way too small.-zridling (April 12, 2011, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

This could be why (emphasis added):

As I have previously stated, the general configurability of the desktop has been broadly crippled. You can't change your widget or window manager theme, set a screensaver, or adjust any of the interface colors. Shockingly, even font configuration appears to have been removed. I couldn't find a way to change the default interface font sizes in GNOME 3.0.
--- End quote ---

Though if you look at the screenshots at full resolution, the font size seems big enough to me.

The article makes it sound as though GNOME 3.0 is super stable and ready to go, so it makes me wonder if Ubuntu will be using it in their eminent Ubuntu 11.4 release...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version