ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Question about setting up a Tor router

(1/3) > >>

Stoic Joker:
So I've been hearing a bunch of stuff about this Tor thing, and I started to get curious. I did a bit of poking around on their site but it seems that it's mainly (or only) a client side type widget. Is there a way of setting up a Tor (Onion Router?) at the border of a network so that all (or rather most) of the client traffic can be sent/routed out through it?

I was thinking of setting this up as a (some flavor of) Linux box on the edge of my home lab. Is this do-able?

Renegade:
Yes, it's possible, but why would you want to? It will slow down your transfers a lot.

If you could get the TOR client to act as a proxy server, then route everything through that, tada!

If you're looking for anonymity, try www.iPredator.se. It's a VPN with no client records kept. They don't keep payment info, and they don't keep logs. It also slows down though. But it's easy.

Renegade:
I should add that I've only read about doing that with TOR, and not done it myself.

Stoic Joker:
Yes, it's possible, but why would you want to?-Renegade (April 13, 2011, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Primarily curiosity.

It will slow down your transfers a lot.-Renegade (April 13, 2011, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Anytime encryption is involved, I assume performance will be sacrificed (that's just the nature of making any given workload bigger than it was to start with). Out side of that, is there and additional performance hit?

If you could get the TOR client to act as a proxy server, then route everything through that, tada!-Renegade (April 13, 2011, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

think I'm missing the distinction. A proxy is/would be at the network edge anyhow ... So why not just make it the router and then let the servers (only) bypass the Onion part?

If you're looking for anonymity, try www.iPredator.se. It's a VPN with no client records kept. They don't keep payment info, and they don't keep logs. It also slows down though. But it's easy.-Renegade (April 13, 2011, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't really have anything specific to hide ... I'm just curious about the technology ... And was thinking of doing some "Live Fire" testing with it.

I've also been seriously thinking of switching ISPs (to a fiber connection) and a Linux box flavored router solution might be fun when I do it.

cranioscopical:
to a fiber connection
-Stoic Joker (April 13, 2011, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm green with envy.
[weeping]Locked in to the world's most expensive, yet slow, satellite service here [/weeping]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version