Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 02, 2014, 09:05:44 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Downloadsquad shutting down - Another one bites the dust  (Read 8873 times)
paulobrabo
Supporting Member

The Brazilian Bomber

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »

Downloadsquad (the popular tech blog with an emphasis on software) is closing down, as a consequence of the AOL/Huffington Post merge. Will anyone miss it or I am alone here?

http://downloadsquad.swit.../04/12/farewell-internet/

English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »

Whoa.. wow that is crazy. it was a good site.

I wonder what the decisions looked like -- was it just not profitable enough? or?
paulobrabo
Supporting Member

The Brazilian Bomber

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »

As part of the AOL merger last month with Huffington Post, Arianna Huffington became Editor In Chief of 56 sites and took the reins to make major changes. These changes included her decision to fold 30 brands (blogs) into other properties that Huffington saw as ‚Äústronger‚ÄĚ than the absorbed brands.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog...down-download-squad/16797

The decision is probably as stupid as it sounds. Downloadsquad IS a powerful brand, and was a balanced, hugely popular blog. Should we file this in the "goes up in smoke" category?

English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »

It would seem to make more sense for HuffingtonPost Tech to shut down.  I've never even heard of, let alone visited the HuffingtonPost Tech blog... I always thought of them as more esoteric.

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »

After following her antics for years, I've since given up on reconciling what Ms. Huffinton says she believes with much of what she does as a business owner. I'm afraid she really has come to think she knows all the right answers.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:34:36 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
jaden
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »

Downloadsquad (the popular tech blog with an emphasis on software) is closing down, as a consequence of the AOL/Huffington Post merge. Will anyone miss it or I am alone here?

You're definitely not alone.  I was a daily reader, and noticed there weren't (m)any posts yesterday, then saw their announcement this morning.  I spent a good 30 minutes searching for a site that covered similar topics and am trying out Wired Software and Addictive Tips.

If anyone hears where the authors are headed, please share.
allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:50:51 PM »

I, too, followed that blog. Was there any warning this was coming? Caught me quite off guard today. . .
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »

I, too, followed that blog. Was there any warning this was coming? Caught me quite off guard today. . .

The Huffington bit was a bit of a giveaway that *something* was going to happen.  But this...?

rgdot
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »

One of my daily visited sites.

Everything goes down the drain when the AOL name becomes attached to it <-----I don't know if this deserves a  tongue or  Angry or  undecided
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:06:06 AM »

How can any of you say anything like that~! Shame on you~! They're delivering stock holder value~!

undecided

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
jaden
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 01:12:39 AM »

How can any of you say anything like that~! Shame on you~! They're delivering stock holder value~!

I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but it made me wonder if they really are.  I'm not impressed.
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:35 AM »

(Wrong thread, re-posted correctly embarassed)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:11:40 AM by Ath » Logged

Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:49 AM »

I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but it made me wonder if they really are.  I'm not impressed.

Well, judging from that link, it appears that my post and the AOL stock price share 1 thing in common. They're both bad jokes~! cheesy

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
ghacks
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 03:13:48 AM »

I have talked to a few of the writers and they were notified about cuts about a week ago, but completely stunned that cuts meant the whole site. They still cannot really believe what happened and have no explanation for it, but you can be sure that they find homes somewhere else pretty soon.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 08:43:06 AM »

you can be sure that they find homes somewhere else pretty soon

I wonder where that might be  smiley

Chris
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »

^Anyplace but Windows Secrets I hope.  undecided

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »

^ Has windows secrets become bad?  I stopped my subscription long ago, but at that point thought they were going downhill... not there(!)

jaden
Supporting Member

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »

I have talked to a few of the writers and they were notified about cuts about a week ago, but completely stunned that cuts meant the whole site. They still cannot really believe what happened and have no explanation for it, but you can be sure that they find homes somewhere else pretty soon.

Thanks for the update ghacks.  Please do let us know where they find homes.  They had great articles and I already miss reading them.
sajman99
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 03:55:35 PM »

What a shame. Sad I wish all those guys the best.
johnk
Charter Member

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »

They appear to have landed here: Browser Scene
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 08:55:13 AM »

Yay!

What's all this, then?

Well, when Download Squad shut down, we needed somewhere to write. Immediately. This is what we've done for years, and we wanted to keep doing it.

Because we love writing about and playing with all the amazing Web browsers and apps out there, we decided to zero in and make that our focus.

The design will change, we may switch publishing platforms, and the Earth could be overrun by zombies. But we'll still be here posting.
The Crew
Lee Mathews
Vlad
Matthew Rogers
Sebastian Anthony
Erez Zukerman

Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 09:19:37 AM »

DownloadSquad (the popular tech blog with an emphasis on software) is closing down, as a consequence of the AOL/Huffington Post merge.

This is one of those situations where my little square brains are getting confused. I have visited DownloadSquad every week for maybe 3 or even 4 years, so in my imagination every software lover in the world will be familiar with DownloadSquad. But I have never ever even heard of this huffington thing.
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »

DownloadSquad (the popular tech blog with an emphasis on software) is closing down, as a consequence of the AOL/Huffington Post merge.

This is one of those situations where my little square brains are getting confused. I have visited DownloadSquad every week for maybe 3 or even 4 years, so in my imagination every software lover in the world will be familiar with DownloadSquad. But I have never ever even heard of this huffington thing.

I've never heard of either ohmy  Not that it means anything Wink

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 10:06:40 AM »

I wish them the best- but their narrowed focus unfortunately means I won't have as much of a reason to keep track of them.

jaden
Supporting Member

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »

I wish them the best- but their narrowed focus unfortunately means I won't have as much of a reason to keep track of them.

I agree.  I'll still read it, but I wish they hadn't restricted their topic to browsers.  If we're lucky, the change is in name only and they'll continue writing about the same topics.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.055s | Server load: 0.04 ]