ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Partial (corrupted) downloads from a server (Not a valid win32 application etc)

<< < (4/10) > >>

jaden:
Apart from Microsoft Security Essentials, I'm not running any anti-malware or internet filtering junk - and the situation isn't any better when wget'ing from my linux server.
-f0dder (April 12, 2011, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

That pretty much rules out an issue on the client side if wget is failing.  In the MediaTemple case it only happened with very large files (more chance to conflict with a known virus pattern?) but filtering only occurred when the files were served from Apache.  Can someone scp a problem file to another server to see if the file comes across alright?

jaden:
I just tried downloading this PNG: http://carrolld.dcmembers.com/minecraft/2011-04-07.png and I saw the behavior being described (browser thought it was done, but only the top portion of the downloaded image is visible).

In our case the files were zips and were corrupted, so I'm not sure if this could be the same issue or not.  It's possible when a server-side scanner flags a file as infected it stops the download and the browser thinks it's complete.

JavaJones:
Great find f0dder, that seems likely related. What's interesting is that the download seems to start out quickly then slow down terribly (the same behavior is common to a browser and wget with those specific PNG files). Fetching a similarly sized EXE file (FlipSuite in my test) went like lightning.

- Oshyan

40hz:
Wonder if this is somehow related to the stalled picture upload problem you'll occasionally encounter during forum posting. If so, then it's definitely a server rather than a client-side issue.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was an issue with certain php download scripts that retrieved the requested file from a mysql database and were responsible for corrupted downloads. Had something to do with buffer settings iirc.

Can't find it now of course. Anybody else remember seeing that?

jaden:
Another data point.  The initial download of http://carrolld.dcmembers.com/minecraft/2011-04-07.png in Chrome produced a 24KB file.  In Firefox it stalled at 156KB and Opera stalled at 209KB. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version