ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Partial (corrupted) downloads from a server (Not a valid win32 application etc)

<< < (3/10) > >>

jaden:
A few months ago I ran into a problem with MediaTemple where certain downloads were corrupted.  It turned out the network guys had enabled a virus scanner that was incorrectly flagging certain files as having a virus.  They admitted the scanner had never correctly identified a payload, only given false positives, and disabled it so our downloads worked.  Perhaps something along those lines is happening here?

jaden:
It could also be an anti-virus app on the user's system that's scanning downloads and messing with the file.  Do the failures occur with particular files, or is it completely random?

mouser:
it's usually the bigger exe setup files i think.. but i'm not sure there is a real pattern to it other than that the files are usually several megabytes large.

JavaJones:
Having experienced this myself on the client side I can say with fair certainty it's not likely to be antivirus-related on the client end (but maybe server side AV?). The reason I say this is that I've had it happen across a range of different AV software and configuration options, including situations where the scanning of web downloads is not automatically enabled in the AV but is instead called by the browser once the download is finished (suggesting again that the browser is prematurely concluding the file is complete).

- Oshyan

f0dder:
Not sure if it's in any way related, but FWIW I can't reliably grab the minecraft picture from this dcmember - displays a bit, and then stalls (FireFox 4). With wget, I'm seeing download rates at less than 10kb/s, and then massive stall. These images are relatively large, probably around a couple megabytes for some of them.

Apart from Microsoft Security Essentials, I'm not running any anti-malware or internet filtering junk - and the situation isn't any better when wget'ing from my linux server.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version