ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Partial (corrupted) downloads from a server (Not a valid win32 application etc)

(1/10) > >>

mouser:
We've always had an occasional occurrence of this problem, but it seems to be getting worse lately..  Someone will try to download a program from our website (main or member server), and when they try to run it, they get an error saying its "not a valid win32 application" or "The setup files are corrupted".

Worse yet, if they try to re-download the browser gives them the cached half-finished download again so the problem recurs and they are left very confused and thinking the software is defective.

A search on the web shows that this does happen enough to everyone that the problem is well known

But my question is: Does anyone have any server experience who can help us understand how to fix this problem on the server end -- to stop this from happening so often?  What is causing downloads to fail half way through, and leave the browser thinking the download is complete? And how can we fix this on our server end?

Does anyone have any server running experience have any idea? Help!

vlastimil:
Not that I know the answer for that question (as much as I would like to know) (maybe fiddling with http headers would help with the re-download), but it also sometimes happens to me and I usually have the download on multiple urls and have an additional .zip with the installer and I tell the people to download using one of the other urls or with different browser.

Stoic Joker:
Does the server allow download resuming?

Gothi[c]:
Does the server allow download resuming?
-Stoic Joker (April 11, 2011, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes. (Apache does by default)

mouser:
The thing i find strangest is that the browser is not figuring out that the download is incomplete.. that's what's really throwing me for a loop -- i mean normally the browser knows when a connection has failed, etc.  What's particularly bizarre in this case is that the browser and server are somehow convinced that the download has fully finished successfully.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version