ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Looking for Browser Add-in/Plug-in/Extension Plaforms - Advice?

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
Does anyone have any experience with browser plug-ins or extensions?

I'm looking to develop some software, but want to integrate it with the browser. i.e. As you're surfing around, you find something, then the extension acts as a front-end for the software.

This would let me do some things that simply aren't practical inside the browser. e.g. JavaScript and AJAX are not a replacement for C# and desktop power.

In the past, I've written custom browsers, but I'd like to switch direction there.

Thanks for any advice, links, or anecdotes.

Renegade:
Well, looks like I'm back to browser components. For now I'm going to be using MozNET, but if anyone knows of something that will let a browser plug-in interface with regular desktop compiled software, please do chime in.

steeladept:
I want to say there are some things for out-of-browser apps that are essentially what you are looking for, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.  There are out of browser apps that I have seen, but from a developer side....Off to Google....

And the verdict is....

That's where I heard about it!  Silverlight.  That was it's whole point - to be Flash + Adobe AIR but better.  Well in Microsoft's eyes, anyway.  Though I do believe there were some independent confirmations that it was technically better, both in richness and performance.  Unfortunately it looks like they *MAY* be abandoning it by and large.  Still, it may give you another direction to continue your search...

Renegade:
I want to say there are some things for out-of-browser apps that are essentially what you are looking for, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.  There are out of browser apps that I have seen, but from a developer side....Off to Google....

And the verdict is....

That's where I heard about it!  Silverlight.  That was it's whole point - to be Flash + Adobe AIR but better.  Well in Microsoft's eyes, anyway.  Though I do believe there were some independent confirmations that it was technically better, both in richness and performance.  Unfortunately it looks like they *MAY* be abandoning it by and large.  Still, it may give you another direction to continue your search...
-steeladept (September 08, 2011, 11:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... There's Silverlight, but what I'm looking to do is have a plug-in for the *browser* and not for the *web page*. i.e. I'm looking to do some web automation and drive web pages directly in the browser.

And no -- this is nothing nefarious. that kind of functionality can lead to the dark side, but I'm basically looking to automate a web browser game -- i.e. Have the bot in the browser. So... I suppose yeah... If you're against bots, then I've switched to the dark side. :P All Hail Emperor Palpatine~! ;D

Best 2 lines in any movie:

#2 - In the Emperor's throne room
Emperor Palpatine: And now young Skywalker... You will die...

#1 - Immediately following the second best line
Luke Skywalker: Aaarrrggghhh~!

I can do all of this stuff in a stand alone application, but I'd rather hook into a browser directly. Still... Looks like I'm heading down the stand alone path for now.

app103:
Perhaps nevf might be able to point you in the right direction. He did create browser extensions to work with his Surfulater application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version