topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help with new computer build  (Read 3938 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help with new computer build
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:07 PM »
I have a problem that's driving me crazy with the computer I just built- moreso because it's intermittent, but not intermittent.   When I d/l something, if it's larger than a few MB, there's a good possibility it will timeout- but not always.  And if it's something that I'm in control of d/l'ing (like a file link I can click again) it will always work the second time.  It doesn't time out after a certain amount of time- the time out is random.  I haven't been able to find anything anywhere that remotely resembles this problem.

My computer specs:
Operating SystemWindows 7 Ultimate (build 7600)
Processor3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2400
MotherboardGigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-D2P-B3
RAM3576 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NetworkRealtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

It's plugged into a switch (Linksys) with three other computers that work fine.  That switch is then plugged into my router (Netgear).  No other computers on my network have this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help with new computer build
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:42 AM »
IF I remember correctly, I had a similar issue with my Gigabyte MB.  I used the onboard NIC connectors and it was actually the sleep that did it.  I set it to never go to sleep and it stopped being a problem...or it could have been the conflict with the IR port.  I always turn that off too, since I never use it.

Anyway those would be my first two suggestions off the top of my head.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 06:36 AM »
+1 w/steeladept on the disable sleep suggestion. I've had that happen before. As I result I always disable any power management options for network adapters if they're in a desktop system.

Another possibility is to set the baud rate on the NIC to whatever your network speed is (100M/1G) rather than have it autosense. Some NICs get a little fussy and sporadically drop a connection because of it. I've seen this mostly with the nVidia nForce onboard NIC if it shares an interrupt with one of the SATA channels and there's no drive attached to that channel.

Disabling the unused SATA channel usually fixes the problem. I suspect if some systems poll the SATA channel it can cause a timing issue for the NIC if it takes too long to determine there's no drive attached.

Somebody told me they had this same thing happen with an Intel onboard NIC (which implies this is more a mobo/chipset rather than a specific NIC hardware issue) so it might be worth a look if all else fails.

(I'm assuming you've already checked for driver updates? I sometimes forget so I thought I'd mention it.)

Luck! :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:04 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Well, after a day of having the settings in place (I had to fix my wife's computer last night... my first time installing one of those huge CPU coolers- AIEEEE!!!) it seems that your advice helped!  It's at least a lot better... I don't know why they would put something so disruptive in there under the aegis of "power saving" and "green".  Sigh.  :-\

Thanks for your help!  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:50 PM »
Just think of all the energy/bandwidth/etc. you're saving when you can't download anything! :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Well, it turns out that after a while with the new build, this is just *better* not fixed.  So I think I'm going to get a network card for the first time in a long time.  I just don't feel like tweaking this anymore.

So, I was thinking of getting a VisionTek Gaming NIC.  Does anyone here have any experience with these?  I was wondering if I was actually getting anything by going with this over a standard Netgear NIC.  I'd also been thinking about going wireless... but I'm not totally sold on doing that for my main desktop PC.

Any thoughts or advice?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:09 AM »
My mantra is always: "Wire if you can. Wifi if you must."

I'd go hardwired on my main desktop if at all possible. Especially if you do any serious downloading or streaming. You'll be a lot happier if you do. Count on it!  :)

For add-in wired NICs, I'll usually opt for one of the better Intel or Netgear GB models. That or preferably a used "server grade" NIC card if I have a spare or "scrapped" one sitting around doing nothing on my junk parts shelf.

Can't help you with a desktop wireless card. Never bought one. I've only used USB dongles for that so I could swap them out more easily, and also to reposition them for better reception if needed.

On a related subject: Does anybody have any personal experience with the most recent generation of hub-adapters that use your wall's power lines? I've heard mostly good things about them. About the only knock on them i've heard was their relative high cost compared to other alternative.

Anybody have one of the newer models?  :)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:26 AM by 40hz »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:23 AM »

I'd expand that with: "Powerline if all else fails"

Only read about these adapters, and the current generation seems to be doing quite fine, but you really need good quality wiring, and no electric motors (or other distortion sources) running on the same wiring, to have a reliable connection.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:34 AM »

+1,000

On a related subject: Does anybody have any personal experience with the most recent generation of hub-adapters that use your wall's power lines? I've heard mostly good things about them. About the only knock on them i've heard was their relative high cost compared to other alternative.

They're not getting any cheaper ... But they are a great alternative, I'm actually a huge fan of PowerLine networking. Wiring quality in the building can be an issue, but retightening the grounds in the breaker panel frequently resolve most issues of that kind.

I'd go PL over WiFi every time if I could get away with it.