ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help with new computer build

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
Well, it turns out that after a while with the new build, this is just *better* not fixed.  So I think I'm going to get a network card for the first time in a long time.  I just don't feel like tweaking this anymore.

So, I was thinking of getting a VisionTek Gaming NIC.  Does anyone here have any experience with these?  I was wondering if I was actually getting anything by going with this over a standard Netgear NIC.  I'd also been thinking about going wireless... but I'm not totally sold on doing that for my main desktop PC.

Any thoughts or advice?

40hz:
My mantra is always: "Wire if you can. Wifi if you must."

I'd go hardwired on my main desktop if at all possible. Especially if you do any serious downloading or streaming. You'll be a lot happier if you do. Count on it!  :)

For add-in wired NICs, I'll usually opt for one of the better Intel or Netgear GB models. That or preferably a used "server grade" NIC card if I have a spare or "scrapped" one sitting around doing nothing on my junk parts shelf.

Can't help you with a desktop wireless card. Never bought one. I've only used USB dongles for that so I could swap them out more easily, and also to reposition them for better reception if needed.

On a related subject: Does anybody have any personal experience with the most recent generation of hub-adapters that use your wall's power lines? I've heard mostly good things about them. About the only knock on them i've heard was their relative high cost compared to other alternative.

Anybody have one of the newer models?  :)

Ath:
My mantra is always: "Wire if you can. Wifi if you must."-40hz (May 16, 2011, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd expand that with: "Powerline if all else fails"

Only read about these adapters, and the current generation seems to be doing quite fine, but you really need good quality wiring, and no electric motors (or other distortion sources) running on the same wiring, to have a reliable connection.

Stoic Joker:
My mantra is always: "Wire if you can. Wifi if you must."-40hz (May 16, 2011, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1,000

On a related subject: Does anybody have any personal experience with the most recent generation of hub-adapters that use your wall's power lines? I've heard mostly good things about them. About the only knock on them i've heard was their relative high cost compared to other alternative.-40hz (May 16, 2011, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

They're not getting any cheaper ... But they are a great alternative, I'm actually a huge fan of PowerLine networking. Wiring quality in the building can be an issue, but retightening the grounds in the breaker panel frequently resolve most issues of that kind.

I'd go PL over WiFi every time if I could get away with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version