ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help with new computer build

(1/2) > >>

wraith808:
I have a problem that's driving me crazy with the computer I just built- moreso because it's intermittent, but not intermittent.   When I d/l something, if it's larger than a few MB, there's a good possibility it will timeout- but not always.  And if it's something that I'm in control of d/l'ing (like a file link I can click again) it will always work the second time.  It doesn't time out after a certain amount of time- the time out is random.  I haven't been able to find anything anywhere that remotely resembles this problem.

My computer specs:
Operating SystemWindows 7 Ultimate (build 7600)Processor3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2400MotherboardGigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-D2P-B3RAM3576 Megabytes Usable Installed MemoryNetworkRealtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
It's plugged into a switch (Linksys) with three other computers that work fine.  That switch is then plugged into my router (Netgear).  No other computers on my network have this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

steeladept:
IF I remember correctly, I had a similar issue with my Gigabyte MB.  I used the onboard NIC connectors and it was actually the sleep that did it.  I set it to never go to sleep and it stopped being a problem...or it could have been the conflict with the IR port.  I always turn that off too, since I never use it.

Anyway those would be my first two suggestions off the top of my head.

40hz:
+1 w/steeladept on the disable sleep suggestion. I've had that happen before. As I result I always disable any power management options for network adapters if they're in a desktop system.

Another possibility is to set the baud rate on the NIC to whatever your network speed is (100M/1G) rather than have it autosense. Some NICs get a little fussy and sporadically drop a connection because of it. I've seen this mostly with the nVidia nForce onboard NIC if it shares an interrupt with one of the SATA channels and there's no drive attached to that channel.

Disabling the unused SATA channel usually fixes the problem. I suspect if some systems poll the SATA channel it can cause a timing issue for the NIC if it takes too long to determine there's no drive attached.

Somebody told me they had this same thing happen with an Intel onboard NIC (which implies this is more a mobo/chipset rather than a specific NIC hardware issue) so it might be worth a look if all else fails.

(I'm assuming you've already checked for driver updates? I sometimes forget so I thought I'd mention it.)

Luck! :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Well, after a day of having the settings in place (I had to fix my wife's computer last night... my first time installing one of those huge CPU coolers- AIEEEE!!!) it seems that your advice helped!  It's at least a lot better... I don't know why they would put something so disruptive in there under the aegis of "power saving" and "green".  Sigh.  :-\

Thanks for your help!  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
Just think of all the energy/bandwidth/etc. you're saving when you can't download anything! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version